Couple of quick recruiting questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 4, 2016
Has anyone gone to a “College Coaches Showcase Camp” it appears to be put on by College Softball Prospects? If you have did you get any value out of it? Even if it was just the evaluation.

Second question, where is the best place to create and post a recruiting profile? Cost is a factor, with free being the best option.

Thanks for your help.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Has anyone gone to a “College Coaches Showcase Camp” it appears to be put on by College Softball Prospects? If you have did you get any value out of it? Even if it was just the evaluation.

Bit of a 'heh' unless there is a school there you specifically want to attend or you have been communicating with and they would like you to be there. Otherwise there are probably better options.

Second question, where is the best place to create and post a recruiting profile? Cost is a factor, with free being the best option.

Honestly - Youtube and then direct communications with programs are the best way to go about it.

The 'recruiting sites' are great if you want to have someone help and organize your recruiting for you, but for the most part, your profile will only be looked at based on your efforts to get coaches to notice you - so a youtube skills video is as good a place to direct them to as any.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
We hired a recruiter who did virtually nothing for us. What a waste of money that was. DH wound up taking over and created a website that housed videos and showcases them in an easy to view at a glance way. DD has a Twitter page and has it linked to the website. If you want to DM me, I'll send you a link so you can see. Costs nothing, but took him a lot of time to curate and get organized.

Nov 18, 2013
Agree completely with Marriard about YouTube. DD had several unsolicited contacts from coaches who found her video. They were everywhere from JUCO to D1. The whole setup is perfect for recruits. You’ve probably seen when you watch a video you get previews with links to other videos. Put their grad year and position in the title and you’ll get lots of views.

Jun 11, 2012
For the most part the number of coaches that see her videos etc is in direct relations to the number of coaches she sends that information to.
sure occasionally someone gets noticed by a coach that happens to be watching her game to see another player or while scrolling through Twitter but her having direct contact is the better option.
once she has showcase/tournament schedules she should email her schedule and a short video to schools she has interest in. Some will reply, some won’t. Some will watch her play, some won’t. Just keep emailing.
oh and make sure she uses her email or create a new one with her name and grad year. Do not send recruiting emails from an email address that screams “this is my daddy’s email address”.

Nov 18, 2013
For the most part the number of coaches that see her videos etc is in direct relations to the number of coaches she sends that information to.
sure occasionally someone gets noticed by a coach that happens to be watching her game to see another player or while scrolling through Twitter but her having direct contact is the better option.
once she has showcase/tournament schedules she should email her schedule and a short video to schools she has interest in. Some will reply, some won’t. Some will watch her play, some won’t. Just keep emailing.
oh and make sure she uses her email or create a new one with her name and grad year. Do not send recruiting emails from an email address that screams “this is my daddy’s email address”.

I didn’t think random coaches would watch her video either. She had almost as many coaches contact her from the profile video as at tournaments and showcases. You’re right though that calling or emailing coaches is the best method and will generate the most interest. I was just shocked to hear from coaches she didn’t share the link with. We even did everything g wrong at the time. The video is too long and it’s on my YouTube account. i had never used it before that and was still pretty clueless about recruiting.

Jun 11, 2012
I didn’t think random coaches would watch her video either. She had almost as many coaches contact her from the profile video as at tournaments and showcases. You’re right though that calling or emailing coaches is the best method and will generate the most interest. I was just shocked to hear from coaches she didn’t share the link with. We even did everything g wrong at the time. The video is too long and it’s on my YouTube account. i had never used it before that and was still pretty clueless about recruiting.
DD got some interest from other coaches in the conference she now plays in because the coaches talk and often watch games together. She’s a junior now so posting all over Twitter wasn’t as much a thing as it is now.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
Youtube to store videos. Twitter to tag colleges and coaches. DD has a NCSA account (part of her organizational expenses) and it has been invaluable in her recruiting process. It's not that one can't find the information on the internet, it's just that everything is consolidated which makes it 10x easier. It too also creates a profile but you can link to social media accounts. One can email coaches and track interest from schools. I don't know what it costs but it's a great tool. We are taking a multi pronged approach of social media, NCSA, camps, showcases, etc... to hopefully get her to the college level.

Nov 18, 2013
DD got some interest from other coaches in the conference she now plays in because the coaches talk and often watch games together. She’s a junior now so posting all over Twitter wasn’t as much a thing as it is now.

People overlook word of mouth from coaches when they say things like HS doesn’t help you get recruited. Every little bit helps. Good luck to your DD.

May 27, 2013
Wix.com allows you to create a free web site. Dd and I created one for her during recruiting and we posted all kinds of info and videos. Dd would send a link to this site in the emails she sent to coaches. Worked well for her. Her TB club also posts online profiles.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802