Couple of DD's swings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I believe changes were made after the first post. Or the pattern is significantly different off a tee or instruction hasn’t been provided for the lower half in all clips. I think it’s the former.

It sounds like you see the "front-toss swing" as different than the "tee swing".

Which do you prefer and why?

Jun 8, 2016
I believe changes were made after the first post. Or the pattern is significantly different off a tee or instruction hasn’t been provided for the lower half in all clips. I think it’s the former.

Could be something changed..That said I see pattern differences in tee swings vs live ball swings at all levels, including MLB players. My DD's tee swing is significantly better than her live ball swing imo. The timing aspect causes her to rush certain things, in particular her move out. On the other hand, I have seen HL players whose live ball swing is better than their tee swings. I don't like analyzing tee swings for that reason...might as well analyze the actual (or at least one which is close to) situation they will encounter in a game..

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2015
I will try and post some game swings tomorrow. I agree, her game swing is different than her tee swing. Thanks for the input.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
It sounds like you see the "front-toss swing" as different than the "tee swing".

Which do you prefer and why?

I like different aspects from both. Upper half load looks good in the ‘front toss’ swing. Lower half looks better in the ‘tee swing’. Either way I don’t think this swing is that far off.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
In addition to the excessive early hinge angle in the rear hip and knee (as mentioned by FFS), I get a feeling of this swing being top-half dominant, powered by torso rotation rather than core resistance. One of the results we see from trying to rotate really hard is the rear leg spinning out.

Eric would you please explain:

I get a feeling of this swing being top-half dominant, powered by torso rotation rather than core resistance. One of the results we see from trying to rotate really hard is the rear leg spinning out.

Especially this "powered by torso rotation rather than core resistance."

Also jurlay, I notice what you saw the the grip too. I would try different grips and see which grip produces the greatest batspeed/exit velo.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Eric would you please explain:

I get a feeling of this swing being top-half dominant, powered by torso rotation rather than core resistance. One of the results we see from trying to rotate really hard is the rear leg spinning out.

Especially this "powered by torso rotation rather than core resistance."

Also jurlay, I notice what you saw the the grip too. I would try different grips and see which grip produces the greatest batspeed/exit velo.

RH, please explain the differences in a swing model with "torso rotation" and a swing model based on "core resistance".

You speak of the rear leg spinning out? I am assume you are speaking of the rear leg internally rotating. Is that correct? How do you tie that in with "torso rotation" or "core resistance"?

In your swing models of "powering the swing with torso rotation" versus "powering the swing with core resistance", what are the assistive and resistive actions?

Assume that none of us understand what is meant by a swing "powered by core resistance". Is the torso still rotated? If so, what is causing the rotation of the core in the swing model that is "powered by core resistance"?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
RH, please explain the differences in a swing model with "torso rotation" and a swing model based on "core resistance".

You speak of the rear leg spinning out? I am assume you are speaking of the rear leg internally rotating. Is that correct? How do you tie that in with "torso rotation" or "core resistance"?

In your swing models of "powering the swing with torso rotation" versus "powering the swing with core resistance", what are the assistive and resistive actions?

Assume that none of us understand what is meant by a swing "powered by core resistance". Is the torso still rotated? If so, what is causing the rotation of the core in the swing model that is "powered by core resistance"?

RH was quoting me, but hasn't figured out how to use the quote feature ;)

What I'm seeing is this hitter rotating her entire torso (hips, core, shoulders) as unit, rather than creating stretch/resistance through the core for her source of power. The rear leg over-rotating (heel flopping outward) seems to be a result of the torso rotation action. I see similar issues with my DD sometimes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28