Countering first impression "you are too small"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
(This is our families first time throught the recruiting process)

My daughter is in the recruiting processs with video and stats in hand contacting coaches via mail, email, phone, and visiting prospective schools in person. She is a pitcher and only 5-2. Despite a NIke Sparq rating in the elite level (51) and radar speed in the 58-60 range, the look we get from coaches communicates "are you kidding you are too small". Interestingly the one D1 coach who actually seen her pitch in person was the only one who verablized and said "when I first saw you on the mound I said OMG she is tiny. By the third inning I had complelety forgotten that you were 5-2".

(She is considering a reasonably small number of D1 and DIII schools primarly based on thier academic reputation and offerings)

here is the question - Should we lay this issue on the table when we get the "look" from the coach? How do we broach the issue of size with the coach in a way that does not seem defensive?

Thanks

May 7, 2008
Size?

Two words: Taryn Mowatt (sp?). The pitcher who shut everybody down for U of A and won the NCAA title last year was tiny, too. How'd that work out? Any coach who rules somebody out because of her size is a fool you wouldn't want her to play for anyway.

May 8, 2008
As a former Division 1 pitching coach, size is definitely an issue that come up. Her stats will speak for her. Also, if she has received awards in her conference or any MVP awards for high school, that speaks volumes as well. If she is throwing 58-60, she should be able to get a scholarship to D2, D3 or NAIA regardless of size. It really is unfair that D1 schools put so much emphasis on size. I think quality players come in all shapes and sizes. Keep active in the recruiting process and hopefully good things will happen! -Heather www.2MinuteRecruit.com

Attachments

• Triple.jpg
    Triple.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Rehydrating.jpg
    Rehydrating.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 7
May 5, 2008
here is the question - Should we lay this issue on the table when we get the "look" from the coach?

Do you mean the coach that verbalized his opinion? Or you do mean should you lay it on the table when you get "the look" from a coach? The way it's worded it sounds like you're talking about one coach in particular so I'm just trying to get some clarification. If you're talking about the coach who actually said something about it, doesn't seem like anything needs to be said since he "forgot" she was 5-2 by the 3rd inning.

Sounds to me that your daughter would erase any doubts with her performance and it shouldn't be something that you need to defend. Like Heather said, her stats and performance will speak for her. JMHO

May 7, 2008
how do say - Coach i'm short but fierce.....

Do you mean the coach that verbalized his opinion? Or you do mean should you lay it on the table when you get "the look" from a coach? The way it's worded it sounds like you're talking about one coach in particular so I'm just trying to get some clarification. If you're talking about the coach who actually said something about it, doesn't seem like anything needs to be said since he "forgot" she was 5-2 by the 3rd inning.

Sounds to me that your daughter would erase any doubts with her performance and it shouldn't be something that you need to defend. Like Heather said, her stats and performance will speak for her. JMHO

Yes the issue is how to address the "un spoken" issue without seeming defensive. She has the stats - 1.5K per inning, 8:1 ratio of K to BB, era around 1, but honestly I have seen lots of fabricated stats and reports of 12 year old throwing 65mph so I can understand coaches skepticism unless they see the player in action.

The guidance I am hoping for is how a recruiting coach would expect a prospective player to address this? is it a direct question? "Coach do you have concerns about my height?" an indirect one " Coach I'd really like you to see me play becasue I am sure that you would that even though i'm shorter than some players, I can perform well".

thnaks

Attachments

• 20140303_225149.jpg
    20140303_225149.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20140303_225159.jpg
    20140303_225159.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 20140303_225320.jpg
    20140303_225320.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 27
May 9, 2008
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

May 7, 2008
Get the coach in the box!

Any coach worth a damn should be able to stand in the batter's box and face a potential pitcher as the most important part of the recruiting process. Stats mean nothing. Stats don't tell you what kind of hitters you faced, what kind of defense you had behind you, what kind of umpires were calling the balls and strikes. If I get in the box see what you've got, I'll have a pretty good idea about whether you can pitch at the highest levels. Size? What does size have to do with whether you can get me out? Unfortunately, many coaches haven't got a clue. I've been to a lot of college games at all levels. I say without hesitation that many college coaches haven't got a clue.

May 12, 2008
(She is considering a reasonably small number of D1 and DIII schools primarly based on thier academic reputation and offerings)

I've seen the size bias many times. I've seen good pitchers passed over because they didn't fit the stereotype and pitchers I considered questionable get opportunities because they "looked the part". But that's not why I'm posting. If D3's with very high academics are on your possibility list, I would appreciate a PM or an email and I'll send you some information on such a possibility.

May 22, 2008
You go Mark, I was going to shoot him/her the same message.

Are you going to the ULL vs Houston games on Sat? I would sure like to see that series, but I imagine it might already be sold out by now?

May 12, 2008
I just now saw this. Haven't been looking past the hitting forum lately. Yeah Steve and I went. Missed the if game to watch a recruit. GA tickets were still available. Would love to have seen you. Speaking of size bias, I think we know of a great pitcher who suffered from that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802