correct call or not?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
bases loaded, HPU (working alone) calls IP, says all runners advance, ball on batter (no pitches thrown yet)?

not certain of rule set for this "tournament", but on this I think they would all be in alignment.

I thought it was just a ball on batter (by the way, IP was because she started, stopped, then started again)

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
not certain of rule set for this "tournament", but on this I think they would all be in alignment.

NCAA is the only rule set I know of that has changed the penalty for IP to just awarding a ball to the batter. The other rule sets still also award a base to any runner on base.

I thought it was just a ball on batter (by the way, IP was because she started, stopped, then started again)

This is not detailed enough to say for sure if IP was called correctly. By "started, stopped, then started again" do you mean she brought her hands together, separated them, then brought them together again and then separated again, or something else?

May 6, 2015
This is not detailed enough to say for sure if IP was called correctly. By "started, stopped, then started again" do you mean she brought her hands together, separated them, then brought them together again and then separated again, or something else?

I believe this is the explanation the umpire gave, I was down on the right field line in bleachers, so I could not hear it very well. was not really questioning the call itself, just what the penalty wast, DD does not pitch anymore, so never really learned rules for pitching all that well.

thanks, we have a parent on team that is an ump (HS), and they thought it should only be ball on batter, but I am not certain what HS rules are in our state.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
NCAA is the only rule set I know of that has changed the penalty for IP to just awarding a ball to the batter. The other rule sets still also award a base to any runner on base.

For 2019, NFHS has removed the one-base advancement. It's just a ball now.

Oct 11, 2018
thanks, we have a parent on team that is an ump (HS), and they thought it should only be ball on batter, but I am not certain what HS rules are in our state.

Next year in 2019 that parent would be correct. the NFHS rule is changing in 2019 and the runners will not be advanced a base on an illegal pitch. But today they are advanced. Here is the 2019 rule revision from the NFHS website.

6-1-1 PENALTY, 6-1-2 Thru 4 PENALTY, 6-2-1 PENALTY, 6-2-7 PENALTY: in the case of an illegal pitch, the batter is awarded a ball. The penalty that permitted base runners to be awarded one base without liability to be put out is removed.

Rationale: The new language creates more balance between offense and defense. The batter should receive the award rather than runners already on base.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Rationale: The new language creates more balance between offense and defense. The batter should receive the award rather than runners already on base.

The original softball rule for an "unfairly delivered ball" (1936) was just a ball on the batter. If the batter hits the pitch in fair territory, there is no penalty (or choice) applied

IMO, the added base award was meant to be a deterrent by adding additional punishment for the act.

Jun 4, 2014
IMO, the added base award was meant to be a deterrent by adding additional punishment for the act.

Instead it's become a deterrent for the umpires to call it. Maybe we'll see more called at the HS level. Looking forward to it.

Jun 22, 2008
Instead it's become a deterrent for the umpires to call it. Maybe we'll see more called at the HS level. Looking forward to it.

It made literally no difference in the enforcement in NCAA, I don't see it happening in high school either. The umpires have become so blind to even looking for illegal pitches most have forgotten what they are. You might see an initial upturn but it will go right back to the same thing very quickly.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
What if the ball is put in play on an IP? Does the team at bat get to choose between play and ball?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802