Correct backhand form

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 7, 2016
So working with some agility drills with a couple players the others day. WE were working on a cross over left foot leading going low almost to a knee with right knee and hinging glove at elbow. I know certain situations like SS throw to 2nd where a right foot lead is beneficial for a pivot but I have a question on the right way for this.

One of my players had just attended a local camp where they did not teach what i describe in my second sentence instead tell her to field the ball out in front of her and use her momentum to carry her through the ball. Essentially just getting low and running through a backhand. I was always taught to bend the left knee and right knee drops. Glove hinges either in front of left leg to block if mis played or hinged out in front if you cant get to the ball. You then pivot, plant and throw. IF you use your momentum to carry you through the ball then you have to stop your momentum plant and throw taking more time.

So what is the correct form on this one and do you have any reference videos etc. I have searched old threads and found a little but nothing is clear.

Mar 7, 2016
Now that makes a lot more sense on a charging backhand however they taught it as a pure backhand cutting to the right and im trying to understand the reasoning.

Jun 8, 2016
Now that makes a lot more sense on a charging backhand however they taught it as a pure backhand cutting to the right and im trying to understand the reasoning.
I misunderstood the momentum part, so they taught them to keep moving to their right after they catch the ball? In theory you want to be fielding it in front of your right foot (for a rightie) planted so you can just throw it without having to take an extra step. Some MLB SS use a jump throw using the technique you mentioned the camp taught for plays where they are really stretched out and cannot necessarily get to the position I mentioned above. Can't say I have seen too many female fastpitch players do that.

Mar 7, 2016
I misunderstood the momentum part, so they taught them to keep moving to their right after they catch the ball? In theory you want to be fielding it in front of your right foot (for a rightie) planted so you can just throw it without having to take an extra step. Some MLB SS use a jump throw using the technique you mentioned the camp taught for plays where they are really stretched out and cannot necessarily get to the position I mentioned above. Can't say I have seen too many female fastpitch players do that.

i was always taught right foot forward for throws back to second, left foot step and throw for throws to 1b.

Jun 8, 2016
i was always taught right foot forward for throws back to second, left foot step and throw for throws to 1b.
What you describe gives you more range for sure but is a bit slower than if you field it off your right foot. Fielding it off your right foot would be for balls where many young kids would probably try and get in front of it but be too off balance to throw. Depends on the ball I guess.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
I have always been taught and currently teach to plant with the right foot, field the ball off the right foot, and step to target with the left (similar to charging backhand except you may not necessarily sweep the glove forward). Unless it is a rocket, crossing over to plant with the left foot wastes too much time, especially from 3rd or SS.

Mar 7, 2016
I have always been taught and currently teach to plant with the right foot, field the ball off the right foot, and step to target with the left (similar to charging backhand except you may not necessarily sweep the glove forward). Unless it is a rocket, crossing over to plant with the left foot wastes too much time, especially from 3rd or SS.

does that not limit your range? you would have to take an extra step in that sequence to field anything outside your range of your step right?

good example of what i teach and how i was always instructed, planting with left

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28