Coronavirus

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2016
Also, to keep this softball related: dd has practiced at home 5 days in a row and will continue to do so. We have worked in our empty front room a lot due to rain but still do short hops and general foot/glove work plus pvc drills, tee work, dry swings and some slapping drills. Got some throwing drills and long toss in yesterday before the rain hit again. I guess there is a silver lining to all this, she hasn't worked this much since she started playing.
We have worked almost every day as well and my DD's AAU basketball coach has been giving her team workouts to do. The amount of free time my DD has during what should be school kind of reminds me of a conversation I had a long time ago with my AAU basketball coach regarding a kid on our team who skipped school a lot (Marcus Wills in this old school video..lol)

To me that was a foreign concept so I naively asked him what he did when he skipped school. His response was (and keep in mind this coach was an idiot and we found out later on how much of a creep he was...) "He is a basketball player..he plays basketball!!" :sneaky:

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2014
Honest question because I really don't know. What is different about Italy that is causing them to suffer so much from this and are they at the extreme end of the spectrum for worst case scenario? Is it the age of their population or the close living quarters? Hasn't the virus been in other countries just as long but with less dramatic results/
In addition to other things already mentioned, Italy has 60 million people and is the size of Arizona. As a comparison, the US has 327 million.

That's a lot of people in a very small area. Easy to pass a virus around.

Sep 29, 2014
In addition to other things already mentioned, Italy has 60 million people and is the size of Arizona. As a comparison, the US has 327 million.

That's a lot of people in a very small area. Easy to pass a virus around.
and this is why NYC is so scared and rightfully so, a very large number of people crammed into a really small space think 8 million people within a few hundred square miles and the number of hospital beds you would need even if only a small fraction needed hospitalization (say 1%) that would completely overwhelm the system, gotta remeber people are still having heart attacks , need treatments and surgeries that are not elective but live saving.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Please, stay away from political/controversial discussions. We are giving people some leeway, but DFP is for softball.

There are lots of other places on the Internet to have political discussions, Reddit, e.g., is a great place to post.

Really...everyone knows that C19 was created when Mrs. O'Leary's pangolin knocked over a container of SARS into a vat of Ebola.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017
We have worked almost every day as well and my DD's AAU basketball coach has been giving her team workouts to do. The amount of free time my DD has during what should be school kind of reminds me of a conversation I had a long time ago with my AAU basketball coach regarding a kid on our team who skipped school a lot (Marcus Wills in this old school video..lol)

To me that was a foreign concept so I naively asked him what he did when he skipped school. His response was (and keep in mind this coach was an idiot and we found out later on how much of a creep he was...) "He is a basketball player..he plays basketball!!" :sneaky:

Dd has also been practicing basketball as much as she can between rain showers, sometimes just working on ball handling drills in my garage. Our school district is relatively small so all the kids have take home Chromebooks. They have to log in every morning for attendance and then they have school to be completed each day so we will be in good shape as far as finishing the school year. My kids definitely have more free time but they are usually busy until 12:30/1:00 each day.

Jun 8, 2016
Dd has also been practicing basketball as much as she can between rain showers, sometimes just working on ball handling drills in my garage. Our school district is relatively small so all the kids have take home Chromebooks. They have to log in every morning for attendance and then they have school to be completed each day so we will be in good shape as far as finishing the school year. My kids definitely have more free time but they are usually busy until 12:30/1:00 each day.
Well this week is officially spring break but our school district has basically said the kids are on their own with regards to online learning (they gave some websites or something). My DD reads all day anyway and has tested at (least) the 6th grade in all her subjects (as a 4th grader) so I am not worried about her but I am worried about how this will effect a lot of the kids in the district.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018
Well this week is officially spring break but our school district has basically said the kids are on their own with regards to online learning (they gave some websites or something). My DD reads all day anyway and has tested at (least) the 6th grade in all her subjects (as a 4th grader) so I am not worried about her but I am worried about how this will effect a lot of the kids in the district.
Wow, I can't believe they are telling the kids they are on their own. DD teacher (4th grade) is working on getting a web meeting setup with all the kids. They are also sending out links with assignments, they are expected to read books and take comprehension tests to meet their reading goals, write easy's and email them in, etc.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
Wow, I can't believe they are telling the kids they are on their own.

🤷‍♂️

Also they haven't officially closed the schools down past the first week of April so maybe more guidance will be provided if/when that happens..Like I said my DD typically finishes her assignment and school at then finds something else to do with her time for 3/4 of the school day so it isn't going to kill her. I doubt I did more than 1 hour of HW a week until I was a Senior in HS and I ended up.....ok bad example :LOL:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom