Coronavirus

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 11, 2019
While we are probably overreacting to this, there is a true threat that is definetly gonna get worse over the next couple of weeks. If we can remove gatherings for a couple of weeks to slow the spread, I believe softball will survive. We don’t know if this is not as bad as the flu or not. The infection rate is 10 times worse than the flu. As parents and coaches, it is our responsibility to keep these kids as safe as we can. I agree with The Man; Just Stop. We will all be back out there soon. Kids are resilient, they will be fine for a few weeks without organized practice.

Apr 30, 2018
Our local rec league board still wants to hold a tournament this weekend. Currently 40 teams registered, 10 kids x 40 = 400 + 800 parents = 1200 people. I'm pretty sure many teams will cancel or no show though. Board meets again on Wednesday for a final decision assuming the city doesn't issue a ban on events over 50 people which is what the CDC is currently recommending. Several big cities and counties in Texas have issued bans on events over 250 people. I wish they would put out some mandates at a higher government level. This leaving it up to local cities, school districts, counties, etc is creating a hodgepodge of guidelines.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Apr 28, 2014
Not the time for tournaments.
I think its overblown by the MSM but if we're wrong then people will die
What I can't understand is why HS districts are so quick to want to cancel everything.
Let's take a metered approach and go week by week.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Of course it's not insane that kids want to play. What a silly question. What's insane is parents who want to play in next Saturday's big tournament despite all the evidence showing how dangerous and selfish that is. Parents who would risk lives for a 10U game of softball because they don't want to say "no" to little Sally.

Kids will bring it home from events and kill their parents and grandparents. It will happen. Might be hard to connect the dots for some, but it will happen. It's happened in other countries in the last few days, but why acknowledge that evidence when it makes us uncomfortable.

Shutting everything down is the way to deal with it. I'll take advice on this topic from doctors, CDC, scientists, leaders and historians. Not internet strangers.

I know it's hard to fathom. Head in the sand and ignoring evidence is easy. I get it. And the points you make show you aren't understanding. It's about not overwhelming the healthcare system that isn't ready for this. We know next to nothing about this virus. There is no vaccine. Maybe you haven't seen what's going on in Italy and Spain. Complete lock-down. This is serious. The virus doesn't care what nationality you are. It doesn't care there's an ocean between us.

Nothing more tedious than the "Internet stranger" with their appeals to authority telling others that they don't understand. Look at what's happening in S. Korea and other parts of Europe for another perspective. Look at the outcomes on the Diamond Princess cruise ship. How about using your own brain instead of just blindly swallowing what you're fed? This is no different from little Sally bringing a more common flu bug home to grandma, but I'll wager you've never given that a second thought.

It's not just about softball. It's about the consequences to our economy. If you don't think that can wreck lives and even kill people, you aren't paying attention.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2012
USA
Of course it's not insane that kids want to play. What a silly question. What's insane is parents who want to play in next Saturday's big tournament despite all the evidence showing how dangerous and selfish that is. Parents who would risk lives for a 10U game of softball because they don't want to say "no" to little Sally.

Kids will bring it home from events and kill their parents and grandparents. It will happen. Might be hard to connect the dots for some, but it will happen. It's happened in other countries in the last few days, but why acknowledge that evidence when it makes us uncomfortable.

Shutting everything down is the way to deal with it. I'll take advice on this topic from doctors, CDC, scientists, leaders and historians. Not internet strangers.

I know it's hard to fathom. Head in the sand and ignoring evidence is easy. I get it. And the points you make show you aren't understanding. It's about not overwhelming the healthcare system that isn't ready for this. We know next to nothing about this virus. There is no vaccine. Maybe you haven't seen what's going on in Italy and Spain. Complete lock-down. This is serious. The virus doesn't care what nationality you are. It doesn't care there's an ocean between us.

Good post @uncdrew and even better to see some people get it. Thank you for getting it! Some people never will and know more than anyone else on the planet including the doctors, CDC, scientists, leaders and historians. It's a free country and everyone is free to be an idiot until those idiots with those kinds of comments give the government no other option to force us into the house, impose curfews, etc. But again, so many people know so much more than the people you mentioned above. Again, thank you and appreciate what you said. Hopefully others will realize what is going on in our country and this world sooner than later and understand the importance of being socially responsible.

S3

Feb 25, 2018
Had a nice pitching session in the backyard today. A bit chilly, but at least the sun was out.

Players can still keep working on their skills.
Group practices aren't necessary.

For those parents/coaches that still want group practices/scrimmages/tourneys to go on while the coronavirus is still very contagious, please keep in mind that a lot of the umpires are in the cohorts that are having the higher mortality rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee