Coronavirus

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 25, 2018
Yep, just stop.

The spread curve can be flattened, thereby putting less of a strain on medical resources, but the effectiveness of any closings of schools, suspension of games, etc. is diminished if teams are still practicing.

I'm catching for my daughter in the back yard and that's it.

MA-USA softball put out a recommendation to temporarily suspend practices/games for rec leagues & travel teams, but yet there's a club I know that's going ahead with three scrimmages today. Even with a confirmed case in the next town over.

Gotta play as a team, folks.

Apr 28, 2014
Ummm.. no one is talking about playing now. We are discussing the future. In spite of what some may say there will be a future.

May 29, 2015
Indeed there will be a future. And yes, there are plenty of people still trying to play now. I’m talking to the people who are looking for fields since their local parks have shut down, people who are encouraging the kids to “get together anyway”, and the ones who are still trying to find ways to hold practices (either with their school or with their travel team since schools are saying NO).

JUST STOP IT! (I need a cool logo ... anybody?)

Nov 15, 2019
Any indoor training facilities close yet?
Speed and agility?
Private Instruction?
What State please

I'm actually seeing the opposite. In Michigan all K-12 schools are on mandatory closure for a few weeks and I've noticed several training facilties increasing their offerings with daily athletic camps, limited to around 10-15 people.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
BE CAREFUL! I just talked to a HS coach who said that the TB team a majority of this coach's team plays for called them and told them that they can practice with the TB Team. I told this coach to immediately contact the AD and have the AD issue a clarification.

Apr 28, 2014
BE CAREFUL! I just talked to a HS coach who said that the TB team a majority of this coach's team plays for called them and told them that they can practice with the TB Team. I told this coach to immediately contact the AD and have the AD issue a clarification.
Is your concern over their health?

Aug 25, 2019
I was going to comment on this as well. The season is suspended and not cancelled so beware if you are in this situation that your dd can not practice with their TB team. That is what our AD told us. Also, I give lessons but am a coach. I was asked to be ready to provide evidence that any of the players I hit with were my clients before this virus. I have decided to not hit with players since it might compromise us some. Our players want to keep working but we have made it clear we can not set up a practice, attend a practice ... We were told that school facilities will be off limits to the team. Since we have had operations suspended by the Governor of the State, we were given a sense that legally this will be a big deal if any schools violate this suspension of school/athletics.
Now is this about the coronavirus?......I think I've read here that there are some schools that do not allow players to play TB during softball season.....Am I correct about that?

Aug 1, 2019
yeah its a state by state i guess because local TB has a tournament today and playing like normal just extra precautions they say so will just wait and see what happens .

May 29, 2015
It is a state association choice ... not an NFHS rule across the board. It can also vary by age within the state. In Illinois, IHSA and IESA are two separate organizations.

Illinois High School Association will not allow players to play on another team when the sport is in season.
3.101 During the school season for a given sport, in a school which maintains a school team in that sport, a student shall not participate on any non-school team, nor as an individual unattached in non-school competition, in that given sport or in any competition that involves the skill of the sport in question. Violation shall cause ineligibility for a period not to exceed 365 days. An exception may be made by the Executive Director under the guidelines adopted by the Board of Directors for competitions sponsored and conducted directly by the National Governing Body or its official Illinois affiliate for the sport.

Illinois Elementary School Association does not forbid it, but does give the individual schools the power to make a rule forbidding it.
From Section 3.040
Q. Could a girl who is on her school’s girls basketball team participate with a non-school travel basketball team during the girls basketball season? A. It depends on the school's policy regarding participation on a school team and a non-school team at the same time. If the school would permit this type of participation, then the girl would be eligible. If the school did not allow this type of participation and the girl participated in the non-school competition during the school season, she would be in violation of local school policy and not an IESA rule. [/quote}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28