Cool picture from first HS game of the season.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
Photography is my side hustle. I really like this pic of the teams ace.
75479f52e67edb28ba4f5491959bb8da.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
Nice pic!

My envy that your DD is actually getting to play HS ball this year runs cold and deep.

I hear you. It’s so random the schools that are playing and the ones that are not. A powerhouse school in my DD’s league did not field a team this year (much to her relief).

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Great pic Jack, she's got (to me) that perfect pitcher's build, long and lean with long levers! That 1B seems to know something that may involve her! ;)

Mar 6, 2016
Jumbo: What's your camera setup? Mode, ISO, lens, etc? Do you use a monopod at the games?

Since I'm not coaching this year for the first time in 10+ yrs, I am now the unofficial team photographer for my DD's new TB team. Would love to get your input.

I have a Canon DSLR Ti 7 with a couple different mm lenses and am trying different aperture and ISO settings.

Thanks!

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
Jumbo: What's your camera setup? Mode, ISO, lens, etc? Do you use a monopod at the games?

Since I'm not coaching this year for the first time in 10+ yrs, I am now the unofficial team photographer for my DD's new TB team. Would love to get your input.

I have a Canon DSLR Ti 7 with a couple different mm lenses and am trying different aperture and ISO settings.

Thanks!

I have a 1DX and use either a 70-200 2.8 or 100-400 4-5.6.
M mode. Usually auto ISO but the sun was making for really bad shadows so I set the ISO higher than it meters for so it will over expose a little (notice the long shadows the girls are casting in this pic) That lets me remove shadows on the subjects without adding a lot of noise. I also normally shoot RAW. I do not use a tripod.

Shoot as wide open as your lens f stop will let you. Fastest shutter speed you can to freeze action.
c9327931a0d7dab0469ef14395b7c13a.jpg

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
I use a Canon EOS D80. I use shutter priority mode, and set shutter speed to around 2500 if it's a bright sunny day. If the light is steady, I will manually set the ISO, but if the light is variable due to clouds, or shade, I will use Auto ISO. I was shooting raw+jpg, but now I just shoot raw, and use Adobe Lightroom to quickly convert to jpg. Raw gives you a little more leeway to correct exposure issues vs jpg. I usually use single point autofocus also.

I gave myself a Tamron 150-600mm Zoom lens for my birthday a couple of years ago. This lens gives me the reach to to take some great shots from the outfield fence. From this vantage you get some great shots of the batters faces and expressions. If the fence is tall, you may need a bucket or something to stand on. For travel tournaments with the low temporary fences, I will use a monopod.

Mar 6, 2016
Ok, so both of you guys shoot in RAW eh? Ok, I know for overall detail/levels control RAW is best, it's just a bit of work on the back end in Lightroom. I used to shoot in RAW but switched depending on the need or use of the photos. Its time consuming but it does make a difference.

I think my limitation now is my zoom lens. Right now I only have a 75-300.

As in this photo from the outfield, this is as far as I could go and its tough because I wear RX sunglasses, what I think is in focus is not always what the camera sees as in focus. 😵 This was maxxed out at 300 from deep LF.
IMG_0414.JPG

And sort of the same with this one from RF. My eyes through my RX sunglasses says its in focus, but the lens actually isn't. And forget about it with no glasses on. EVERYTHING is out of focus. 🤪 Up close I'm good and got some good shots, but when out if OF is when I miss by a hair.

IMG_0663.JPG

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
Ok, so both of you guys shoot in RAW eh? Ok, I know for overall detail/levels control RAW is best, it's just a bit of work on the back end in Lightroom. I used to shoot in RAW but switched depending on the need or use of the photos. Its time consuming but it does make a difference.

I think my limitation now is my zoom lens. Right now I only have a 75-300.

As in this photo from the outfield, this is as far as I could go and its tough because I wear RX sunglasses, what I think is in focus is not always what the camera sees as in focus. This was maxxed out at 300 from deep LF.
View attachment 21442

And sort of the same with this one from RF. My eyes through my RX sunglasses says its in focus, but the lens actually isn't. And forget about it with no glasses on. EVERYTHING is out of focus. Up close I'm good and got some good shots, but when out if OF is when I miss by a hair.

View attachment 21443

Just make sure you get the focus point on your subject. AI Servo focus for Canon.

This pic is taken with a 70-200 2.8
c5a3e8800d4bca60e70fefddbc0a37f7.jpg

Mar 6, 2016
HA! I remember that photo from awhile back. The ball got hit so hard it let loose from its caboose! lol 🤪

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee