Controlling Load

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2019
The previous times I've swung the bat. When I was experimenting between swing down and ttb. I found if it try and swing down and maintained hip hinge and tilted towards the plate it seemed have the correct hand and bat path.

This!

In a vacuum both methodologies are problematic.
Turn the barrel without context can lead to bat drag and pulling off.
Swing down on its own can lead to cutting down through the zone and little lower half engagement.

Two sides, same coin. When you have correct lower half and sequence, play them at full speed and they look remarkably similar. Remember the blue/gold dress thing? You'll see what you see, I'll see what I see. If you tell me what you see I can maybe twist my brain to see it, but one is going to feel more natural to me.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
This!

In a vacuum both methodologies are problematic.
Turn the barrel without context can lead to bat drag and pulling off.
Swing down on its own can lead to cutting down through the zone and little lower half engagement.

Two sides, same coin. When you have correct lower half and sequence, play them at full speed and they look remarkably similar. Remember the blue/gold dress thing? You'll see what you see, I'll see what I see. If you tell me what you see I can maybe twist my brain to see it, but one is going to feel more natural to me.
That is all I can say, is that it seemed to be close. Not sure if it's correct or exact. I'm just saying that's it's possible to actually verify at least In my mind, why they can say they swing down and still have the hand and bat path they have. It's what I've tried myself to verify.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
It’s more than swing down. It’s launching the ‘swing’ deep and as early as possible at the perceived contact point. Now what does launch mean to you? The extension of the rear arm is what it is to me.

1635648124500.gif

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
The "Lateral tilt" you are talking about I think is actually hip extension in disguise.
Correct "lateral tilt"occurs but is a result.

upIJW2t.gif

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
It’s more than swing down. It’s launching the ‘swing’ deep and as early as possible at the perceived contact point. Now what does launch mean to you? The extension of the rear arm is what it is to me.

View attachment 24280
Launch to me, is the exact moment, when a player says yes, and begins the process of delivering the bat to the ball at a perceived location

Apr 17, 2019

Well, that's interesting.
So moving beyond 'swing down' vs. 'turn the barrel' (which I always took to be a bat path disagreement)...
The rear arm straightening it a component of releasing the barrel to me.
I'm with clem - From launch position (after stride to toe touch) the actual swing initiates with the hips, the upper body goes along for the ride (simplification), and the barrel gets released somewhere along the way (varying depending on pitch location, timing).

Releasing the barrel =like throwing a frisbee - the wrists through the arms explode to extension. That would be when the rear arm gets long to me.

Getting the rear arm straight without allowing the wrist snap sounds like a pushing action to me?

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017

View attachment 24280
I do find this very interesting though. And you might be onto something. So, your saying the absolute goal each and every swing, is to try and get to extension. I am assuming, the barrel is releasing at the same time the player is getting the top to extension?

Brings to my mind, the gif of I believe Donaldson showing another player a punching action.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Well, that's interesting.
So moving beyond 'swing down' vs. 'turn the barrel' (which I always took to be a bat path disagreement)...
The rear arm straightening it a component of releasing the barrel to me.
I'm with clem - From launch position (after stride to toe touch) the actual swing initiates with the hips, the upper body goes along for the ride (simplification), and the barrel gets released somewhere along the way (varying depending on pitch location, timing).

Releasing the barrel =like throwing a frisbee - the wrists through the arms explode to extension. That would be when the rear arm gets long to me.

Getting the rear arm straight without allowing the wrist snap sounds like a pushing action to me?

this type of thinking is why there is so much dragging of the barrel in youth hitting. If you wait to get the back arm into positiion, you’re late or you’re dragging. The thought of the hips lead the hands is inaccurate when it comes to what the feel should be. It does look this way on video. But isn’t what happens. The elbow slot or hip slot which some see as a prep to ‘rotate’. What they don’t understand is the arm is starting to ‘throw’ the barrel at this point. And this happens before the hips open. Mind blown? Lol.

1635785574265.gif

The initial opening of the hips isn’t even forced applied. It’s the hands getting the hips out of the way. the hips open when and where they need to. It is a weight shift and a space clearance thing. So in reality the pros don’t lead with the hips and then hands. They actually lead w the hands. Tatis hands are positioning w a closed lower half right? What gives? To me, that intent is the secret sauce. If you’re waiting to TTB or you let rotation power the swing you’re late. Rotation and the hands should go together.

it’s so similar to throwing that, this shouldnt even be a point of debate. You don’t ‘ open’ the hips to throw. The throwing arm is in full control of how the body transfers and releases energy. Everything is timed off the back arm. It’s the same exact thing when you hit. If the intent is to open the hips first then throw the barrel, good luck. You will cheat to inside pitches and be early to outside pitches. Or at best be a one pitch hitter w a long swing.

1635785989447.gif

swing launch is the point of no return. Which isn’t when the hips open. It’s when the rear arm extends. See pujols stop his swing? The recoil was the rear arm extending. That is launch.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28