Controlling Load

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 8, 2019
Better, but here's how it could be much better

View attachment 24266

She hikes her hip upward (green), when it should be flat and turned much more inward to the plate

Her front leg is straight (yellow), when it should be bent, very bent. Keep going forward ON THE BACK LEG (don't reach with the front) until you land on the very bent front leg.

So, when you start the stride, dont start by hiking, start by picking up the front knee (very high, exaggerate to start with).

Land on the bent front leg softly, correct?
@efastball

Last edited:
May 8, 2019
I would say if your going for a strictly one legged type approach probably not to bad. Probably would want a little more coil in the rear hip. Think of taking the back pocket to pitcher, or screw the rear foot into the ground.

I personally like a little more of a forward move. What age group is she?

@clemenslee1 she’s 14u

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The pelvis needs to work down to just like the hands. It doesn’t need to be at toe touch. It can be much earlier. What this does is keeps the hips ‘in’ to be used when the swing is launched. So the swing can stay on a straight line so to speak. To not pull off or lose space to soon. Here is Posey starting w some tilt in his pelvis. And losing it way before toe touch. Go figure an up and in pitch where he needed to be earlier.

The hands follow the pelvis’ direction. If your hands are correct the shoulders will follow the hands. The shoulders are just a platform to launch from. If you plane your swing through the shoulders you’re doing it wrong. That’s long and draggy. Causes a lot of compensations.

Notice when the young lady extends the hands. After contact. That’s drag. The compensation is to early extend the swing which causes rollovers and pop ups.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Better, but here's how it could be much better

View attachment 24266

She hikes her hip upward (green), when it should be flat and turned much more inward to the plate

Her front leg is straight (yellow), when it should be bent, very bent. Keep going forward ON THE BACK LEG (don't reach with the front) until you land on the very bent front leg.

So, when you start the stride, dont start by hiking, start by picking up the front knee (very high, exaggerate to start with).
IOW's allow the legs to be supporters.. Learn to use the middle correctly and all the leg noise will take care of itself (without the use of meaningless colored lines)..

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
IOW's allow the legs to be supporters.. Learn to use the middle correctly and all the leg noise will take care of itself (without the use of meaningless colored lines)..

get some A tilt in the pelvis early. Basically a load in the s plane during the forward move. So one can use that during launch. Folks confuse rotation w flexion/extension.

1635603932680.gif

Reactions: TDS
Apr 17, 2019

Don't have much going on this weekend, so I gotta get in on this....
First is turning the barrel.
Second is swinging down.
(though he's also coming out of posture and pushing with the hands)

Hot take: I'm becoming convinced they're two sides of the same coin. Feel vs Real. I am gonna plant myself firmly balanced on the center of the turn the barrel vs. swing down fence. If the shaft is kept tight to the shoulder until you release the barrel and the posture and sequence is correct, then whichever way you want to think about it, whatever works for you. I suspect that with posture and sequence corrected both of his swings would look remarkably similar at full speed. 🔥🔥🔥

QED:
Feel:
1635614281782.png

Real:
1635614008924.png

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Don't have much going on this weekend, so I gotta get in on this....
First is turning the barrel.
Second is swinging down.
(though he's also coming out of posture and pushing with the hands)

Hot take: I'm becoming convinced they're two sides of the same coin. Feel vs Real. I am gonna plant myself firmly balanced on the center of the turn the barrel vs. swing down fence. If the shaft is kept tight to the shoulder until you release the barrel and the posture and sequence is correct, then whichever way you want to think about it, whatever works for you. I suspect that with posture and sequence corrected both of his swings would look remarkably similar at full speed. 🔥🔥🔥

QED:
Feel:
View attachment 24271

Real:
View attachment 24269

nice post. If they’re one in the same. Why is one so different looking than the other? Do you see different power sources moving the barrel with the two examples? I think the checkpoint is the back arm. One is extending ASAP. The other example has the back arm staying flexed longer which lags/drags the barrel longer. Do you notice the hips come out of posture so it can make space for the hands to come through w the lagged version. I’ll post again so you don’t have to turn the page. Just a few differences I see.

1635615888440.gif

1635615942058.gif

Apr 17, 2019
nice post. If they’re one in the same. Why is one so different looking than the other? Do you see different power sources moving the barrel with the two examples? I think the checkpoint is the back arm. One is extending ASAP. The other example has the back arm staying flexed longer which lags/drags the barrel longer. Do you notice the hips come out of posture so it can make space for the hands to come through w the lagged version. I’ll post again so you don’t have to turn the page. Just a few differences I see.

Yeah, absolutely - there are problems with both swings that would need corrected if they were actual swings. Posture, shoulder pulling off, and lack of release/extension with the first. Pushing, lower half and sequence issues with the 2nd.

Frankly if 2 kids came to me with swings that actually looked like this, I think the 1st would be easier to correct. In fact, with a swing like the first I might even suggest a cue like swing down on the ball to get less coming out of posture, shoulder pulling off, and keep the shin/spine angle matching. But I wouldn't want to see #2 either in a real swing. I even suspect that that's what's going on in these gifs, he's showing the young man what he's doing and giving a 'swing down' cue to correct it.

But I know these are isolations to demonstrate whatever he's getting at, so it's a little bit of a straw man.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812