Control

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

What's in control?

• Rear leg and it turns core

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Core and it turns rear leg

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 3, 2014
I think you either believe the rear leg is in control and turns everything above or the core is in control and it will turn the rear leg. It can't be both.

Either the rear leg turns to create internal rotation of the rear hip or the core turns and creates external rotation of the rear hip

Please vote

EDIT - if you don't like control as a word - just view it as what starts forward rotation first - rear leg or core.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
I'm not sure I agree with premise since it's early I'm not going to say my vote...although that's pretty funny right now...lol

While there are things that are more prominent or important and that is why we do certain isolation drills to make sure hitter understand or can feel what something or some part of their body should be doing you can't just say "B" is always a no teach and will just naturally happen since "A" is all that matters. Might be true 90% of the time but we've all seen that girl doing something that just doesn't seem to make sense other than she isn't doing that thing we labeled "no teach" and when you teach it to her everything starts working better.

Apr 16, 2013
I'm not a guru, but I think I've learned a few things. It's neither. It all starts with the back leg, which starts the rotation. The front leg then kicks it into over drive. The "core" is still a part of it all because the legs connect to the hips, which connects to the core (torso). I've mentioned it here before, but I think of the hips as the central part in the whole process. It's like a big wheel on a valve. You pull with one hand, push with the other, in order to open the valve. The rear leg and hip starts the process, the front leg continues the acceleration. The "core" is resisting as long as it can, letting all that kinetic energy build up. Then it releases and adds its own momentum. All of it happens in a split second.

That being said, that's talking about how to power the swing. When I think "control", I think of the hands and wrists delivering all that generated power to the ball. The stronger your hands, wrists, and forearms are, the more control you have over that power being delivered through the bat. I try to be as simple as possible and always break things down in words I can explain to a child.

So, is this a trick question? Nothing is in "control" except for the mind. It's a sequence and each piece starts a process that leads to the next piece continuing the process. If the question was re-framed as, "What starts the process" then I'd say it's the rear leg. (Which connects to the hip, which connects to the core, it's all one piece.)

Stepping away now and looking forward to the discussion. :D Once it gets too technical, I'll stop following.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I may have more on the subject after me and DD work on this more, however after our most recent session, it's a big B for us. A is squish the bug, B is core power pulling the rear leg thru which is what i 'think' i see in most high level swings.

Reactions: TDS

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28