Contacting College Coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
So to set things up a little my DD as been playing ball for about 5-6 yrs. She is turning 16 this month. She has never played travel only rec, school and some fall ball.

I don't have rose colored glasses. She is a good ballplayer but not great. She really wants to stand out but does not put in enough work and even says she has other things that are her priority right now its getting a license, a job and a car. She won HS JV MVP this year mainly because she came through in clutch hitting situations to win a couple games and rotated to about every position as people got hurt or coach saw holes, ended up the year in CF to sure up the outfield that was costing us tons of runs each game.

I sent her to a softball camp and she texted me yesterday that Coach XX said "that XX state U really looks at players their junior year and that she should email the head coach." Of course the first thing I ask is who is this "Coach" and she responded that she was an assistant coach at that school. This is a D1 school albeit closer to the bottom.

So a couple of thoughts:

- Is the asst just trying to be nice? Why would she want someone emailing her boss if she thought it was a waste of time?
- She watched her for two fulls days, so she has to have some clue as to her abilities, right?
- What kind of email would DD even send...she played JV as a sophomore and prospects are not great for varsity given only 1 graduating senior and does not have travel ball resume.
- Should we do travel ball tryouts in August I honestly don't know if she would make a 16U A team and everything is an hour or better away, I would be willing to commit but not sure she would

Finally I actually wanted to send her to a different camp because the coach that was running that camp was from school that is not as competitive. This school, that she is talking about actually went to World Series last year, as automatic qualifiers for winning their conference, they were two and BBQ but they were there. Funny thing is without softball even being a consideration and before knowing she was going to this camp she had picked this as a school she wanted to go to.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Well it's up to her, if she really WANTS to play softball in College then she has to put the work in. If other things are her priority, then that answers your question. If she doesn't want to make the commitment for a travel team, then that also answers your question. There isn't a "rule" that says you have to be on a travel team, but it helps - It's the commitment from her (because in College your not talking practice twice a week like many TB teams - it's twice a DAY).

As far as contacting coaches... she should, why not?

Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina
Well it's up to her, if she really WANTS to play softball in College then she has to put the work in. If other things are her priority, then that answers your question. If she doesn't want to make the commitment for a travel team, then that also answers your question. There isn't a "rule" that says you have to be on a travel team, but it helps - It's the commitment from her (because in College your not talking practice twice a week like many TB teams - it's twice a DAY).

As far as contacting coaches... she should, why not?

Completely agree. If the idea (for the first time?) that a college may genuinely interested in her as a player jump starts her interest, that's wonderful. But at some point she has to buy in and really do the work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802