Contact by coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
My DD is entering her freshman year of high school. This summer her team attended a couple of Exposure tournaments. Since she's so young, she only contacted a couple of coaches she was familiar with from camps. One or two did show up to watch her. After the first 2 tournaments, she received 3 letters from coaches that said they had seen her play and were impressed with her play. They requested she complete their questionnaire. These weren't schools she contacted. Is that normal after a tournament? Do coaches just send out random letters? 1 school is NAIA, 1 is D-I and 1 is D-III. We are really new to this, so don't know what to think.

CoachJ5513

BlueJ5513
Sep 29, 2010
Texas
Does she have a clearinghouse #? I may be wrong, but I thought it was illegal for D1 to contact anyone who didnt...?

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Only D3 can contact her at that age. The rest can send you an invite to a camp/clinic so they can talk to you on campus, but that is about it. Many good threads on here about contact and some very good books on this subject. I suggest you attend a college camp on recruiting. Many coaches conduct these with parents. They will cover all the rules.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
She does have a clearinghouse #. They just sent an initial letter and questionnaire and all noted that could be their only contact. I know she needs to contact coaches to watch her play to be recruited properly. I just wondered how common it was to be contacted after a tournament out of the blue. Only a few of her teammates got letters, but I didn't know if maybe they're looking at the coaches book and contacting all lefties who have H-1st under 3.00, or actually saw her play.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
DD got many when we played at Nationals. All were from D3's . Yes if you are fast and a lefty that does help. Or a pitcher- catcher. Just as info, the speed all depends on who and how it is timed. Example there are over 3,000 kids posted now on the NFCA camp results. Less than 8 are under 3.00. Anyone can go on line and look up the results. It also shows all the pitchers over 60, which is another topic for discusssion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Fastpitch Recruiting Have you seen this? Her book is good, too.

Thanks. I just ordered it. This is a little overwhelming for her. Since she's just entering high school, she isn't sure what she wants to do after college, so trying to figure out which schools to contact is tough. I guess she should contact a bunch of them to see if there's any interest, then narrow further when she decides on a field of study? Hopefully, a few will show interest.

May 5, 2008
It's great for her to start thinking about it now. I would return any questionnaires that are sent. Some use that as their first "screening" if you never return it, they dump your name. Especially since she is unsure now, keep options open.

She can start thinking of what kind of area she wants to live in for 4-5 years. What part of the country? Cold/warm? Big city/small city? Big campus/small campus? Big classes/small classes? Near water/landlocked? etc, etc, etc

Start there and she can look for schools that fit that type of "profile." She can start communicating with some DIII schools to get in some "practice" in her communication skills with coaches!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45