Considering gettig a fungo, but have a few questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2018
As the topic states, I'm looking at possibly getting a fungo going into the upcoming season. Basically I'm wondering if:
1. Are they worth getting?
2. Assuming #1 is yes, do you just use a baseball fungo? I'm not seeing softball specific fungos so I assume baseball is the way to go?
3. Wood or aluminum? Suggestion?

Thanks in advance

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
1) Personal preference.

3) Yes mine was worth getting. I got a Mizuno Pro Carbon

I'm pleased with it. Durable but more expensive than wood

Jun 8, 2016
1) Personal preference.

3) Yes mine was worth getting. I got a Mizuno Pro Carbon

I'm pleased with it. Durable but more expensive than wood
Out of curiousity, since FP bats are so light to begin with, what do you feel is the advantage of using one over just a regular beater FP bat? I can see the advantage in baseball, you don't want to be swing a 31 oz bat for 30 minutes straight when hitting fly balls.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I’m curious also, if you want a fungo, get one! I used one with Anna’s 16U team, it really wasn’t anything special, I actually gave it away.

I love switching up between my old 33” Rocketech and my 2016 Xeno. But there’s also a Ghost, LXT, Nanotek, and a practically new Mizuno bat out in the garage.

You say old school fungo, I say old school Rocketech! ;)

Apr 30, 2018
I bought a 37" Easton Fungo this season and love it. I just don't have to swing very hard to launch fly balls. Feels like I have so much more control since I don't have to swing hard. Had to swing much faster to hit balls with DD 30" -12 LXT. Didn't have nearly the control the Fungo bat does. While the Fungo is lighter compared to a normal wood bat of the same size, it is heavily end loaded. Balls just seem to leap off the bat. Best $55 I have spent in a long time.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I bought a 37" Easton Fungo this season and love it. I just don't have to swing very hard to launch fly balls. Feels like I have so much more control since I don't have to swing hard. Had to swing much faster to hit balls with DD 30" -12 LXT. Didn't have nearly the control the Fungo bat does. While the Fungo is lighter compared to a normal wood bat of the same size, it is heavily end loaded. Balls just seem to leap off the bat. Best $55 I have spent in a long time.

Curious about this. End loading makes a bat feel heavier than it is, which I'd think would make control more difficult.

Apr 30, 2018
DD bat was too light. I really needed to swing for the fence to drive fly balls. Swinging that fast seemed to give me control problems. The Fungo being end loaded can cause control issues if it is too heavy, but the shaved long thin handle helps to reduce the bats overall weight without hurting the energy transfer to the ball to much. The 37" I bought is really long. I had to adjust where I was tossing the ball to get good results. I had to toss it much further away. You also have to use two hands or massively choke up if you are going to use it one handed. Easton makes a 35" one also.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
if you are going to use it one handed
OsL7gsR.gif

:p

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812