Connection

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

Watching Upton at bat and you can see he doesn't have any slop. He has a very tight sequence.

This clip could be called having connection for those that don't understand what connection is, very tight sequence (upperbody). Connection that turn into a whip at the end, contact.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I just recently watched Chris Oleary's video. He teaches the same thing as Mankin, and Englishbey. Oleary has worked with several ML hitters.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I just recently watched Chris Oleary's video. He teaches the same thing as Mankin, and Englishbey. Oleary has worked with several ML hitters.
Well, at least one of those MLB players has stated publicly on his twitter account that O'Leary didn't work with him. (Tommy Pham) I don't know the others he states he has worked with other than Andres Torres'.

Shawn, over time there have been two different types of connection discussed that I am aware of. One is the hands coming into a relationship with the back shoulder and riding that relationship for a brief moment of time. The other that I am aware of was something discussed back in the day and maybe going all the way back to Hudgens where that relationship of the hands and shoulder complex was expanded to include the sequence after heel touch on the front foot. You might remember that Hudgens talked about "heel -toe" and how they are tied together.

Shawn, I teach connection but with a sense of the sequence from heel touch. Also, regarding the hands and shoulder relationship, I teach that it is brief and the hands come off the "merry go round." This phrase has been so misrepresented from when it was first created. Comments like a "tilt a whirl" or "Ferris wheel" have been said to better represent the action. However, the analogy back in the day refer to what happened when a person jumped on a spinning merry go round. The person will be able to ride that merry go round for a brief second before they get thrown off.

I hope I haven't confused your topic too much. Carry on.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Hands stay ultra close. Excellent. Very short distance between commit and contact.

290 hr's with that swing. The average could be higher and the strikeouts to BB could be better. Although, if you watch him live you can see a very tight sequence to his swing.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Well, at least one of those MLB players has stated publicly on his twitter account that O'Leary didn't work with him. (Tommy Pham) I don't know the others he states he has worked with other than Andres Torres'.

Shawn, over time there have been two different types of connection discussed that I am aware of. One is the hands coming into a relationship with the back shoulder and riding that relationship for a brief moment of time. The other that I am aware of was something discussed back in the day and maybe going all the way back to Hudgens where that relationship of the hands and shoulder complex was expanded to include the sequence after heel touch on the front foot. You might remember that Hudgens talked about "heel -toe" and how they are tied together.

Shawn, I teach connection but with a sense of the sequence from heel touch. Also, regarding the hands and shoulder relationship, I teach that it is brief and the hands come off the "merry go round." This phrase has been so misrepresented from when it was first created. Comments like a "tilt a whirl" or "Ferris wheel" have been said to better represent the action. However, the analogy back in the day refer to what happened when a person jumped on a spinning merry go round. The person will be able to ride that merry go round for a brief second before they get thrown off.

I hope I haven't confused your topic too much. Carry on.

So would you agree with this old Setpro/Nyman clip of the shoulders/hands (barrel) turning as a unit which then turning into a whip as the barrel comes forward and into contact?

giphy.gif

Is this close to what you teach and view the swing?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Shawn, I was never a member of SetPro and Nyman and I had words more than once. The problem I have with some of those old descriptions is that they seemed to discuss that shoulder rotation and I want a type of resistance before the turning. Some of that resistance results in more lateral tilt of the shoulders instead of what appears to be spinning of the shoulder complex. I hope that makes sense.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
What about the connection between the lead arm and torso/chest/pec? Sometime TTB incorrectly will result in a disconnect. Showing your arm pit to the pitcher. Thoughts?

Apr 28, 2019
giphy.gif

Watching Upton at bat and you can see he doesn't have any slop. He has a very tight sequence.

This clip could be called having connection for those that don't understand what connection is, very tight sequence (upperbody). Connection that turn into a whip at the end, contact.
Looks like a very quick compact swing that is easy to repeat. Looks more like a contact top of the order type swing. Are his power #’s any good?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478