Complete arc

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

Not seeing anything unusual here. Bat head moving back towards catcher. Typical TTB.

All of the bat wagging he does just prior to the start of this GIF is just to get into the same position as all other MLB hitters.
Maybe it was all those extra frames.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

Not seeing anything unusual here. Bat head moving back towards catcher. Typical TTB.

All of the bat wagging he does just prior to the start of this GIF is just to get into the same position as all other MLB hitters.
Yes gets to the same launch position. Hand/arms reach the same launch position, same basic position.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Yes sequence, perfect pictures, positions and sequence of a high level swing. Very nice, sling shot effect.

I do like the thought of a dynamic slingshot.

When the core gets primed and torqued. The slingshot effect is the result.

How does one create this effect? Why does Sheff not feel the need for ‘effort’ in his hands/arms until so late in his sequence?

May 12, 2016
Why would he TTB immediately on a high pitch and not on a low pitch? Are we sure that's what's happening here or is there more adjustment with the lower pitch leading to this kind of perception and conclusion?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I do like the thought of a dynamic slingshot.

When the core gets primed and torqued. The slingshot effect is the result.

How does one create this effect? Why does Sheff not feel the need for ‘effort’ in his hands/arms until so late in his sequence?
Great swing for a big or small hitter.

Nov 16, 2017
Why would he TTB immediately on a high pitch and not on a low pitch? Are we sure that's what's happening here or is there more adjustment with the lower pitch leading to this kind of perception and conclusion?

It appears to me that in the first video the hands do make take a downward path as they bat is working back. The barrel is getting turned but over a greater distance.

However, after further review the first pitch was low and out over the outer 3rd, whereas the second pitch is high over the middle 3rd. So that is why an immediate recognition of TTB is obvious on the higher pitch. He is creating length to get to the outer 3rd by not TTB immediately. The question is, is this the best approach. Obviously it worked, but is it the best?

My answer to the previous question is...... no. He still pulls a low, outer 3rd pitch to left center. He is just strong enough to do that, however if he would have TTB early and used contact location (deeper in the zone) he could have maximized his power (staying connected longer) and hit that ball to right center a ton.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Why don't we see more hitter try to mimic Shef? Or Bonds for that matter. Cause to do that crazy stuff requires VERY strong forearms and an very different timing mechanism which would be very hard to teach. What is a natural style for him is not going to work for the average 10 to 14 yo girl.

Jun 8, 2016
Why don't we see more hitter try to mimic Shef? Or Bonds for that matter. Cause to do that crazy stuff requires VERY strong forearms and an very different timing mechanism which would be very hard to teach. What is a natural style for him is not going to work for the average 10 to 14 yo girl.
Yeah but girls are swinging drop 9 or 10's so there is that. Plus Sheff and BB were 10 YO boys at one point...Too many girls are overcoached for whatever reason. I see whole teams of 10U girls who have almost the same swing..like a bunch of robots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802