Complaints against Nebraska softball coach show college athletes’ limited options

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
This isn't the kind of advertising that any school wants about its athletic program. With the loosened rules on transfers, college athletes do have options when faced with a toxic coaching staff.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
In reading the article, it mentions the 13 scholarships that Nebraska has for softball. That is a huge indication to me as to the validity of what was presented in this article. While I don't doubt that there are problems, legally the university has to contend with an employees rights and due process. A potential lawsuit from the coach could mean huge compensation to this coach if the university can not prove its position in the firing.

Nov 29, 2009
I wonder if the outcome of the investigation would have been different if it was a male coach?

It took a lot for the players to come forward. The situation can be nothing but toxic moving forward. I wonder if there will be a mass exodus from the team over the winter or if the players will lose their motivation to win come spring?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I would guess that the coach is not getting off easy. There will be expectations outlined. Of course the tension will be there and I would guess that there will be some meetings both led by team members and the coaching staff to try to change the environment.

Jul 4, 2019
Idaho
It's amazing to me what young people will complain about these days. Their complaint was their coach said and did things that, according to them, included "fat-shaming, verbal abuse and erratic and harassing behavior by Revelle."

Back when I was in high school and college I had coaches who did things to myself and my teammates that were FAR worse than what's alleged here. And back then........................................ WE CALLED IT COACHING.

I wish these whiny twits good luck trying to find another team that wants them. Oh, and good luck in LIFE ITSELF ladies. You're going to need it with this mind-set that you have that you should try to get your "boss" fired because your feelings were hurt..............BOO-----FREAKING----HOO.................cry me a river.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
It's amazing to me what young people will complain about these days. Their complaint was their coach said and did things that, according to them, included "fat-shaming, verbal abuse and erratic and harassing behavior by Revelle."

Back when I was in high school and college I had coaches who did things to myself and my teammates that were FAR worse than what's alleged here. And back then........................................ WE CALLED IT COACHING.

I wish these whiny twits good luck trying to find another team that wants them. Oh, and good luck in LIFE ITSELF ladies. You're going to need it with this mind-set that you have that you should try to get your "boss" fired because your feelings were hurt..............BOO-----FREAKING----HOO.................cry me a river.

There is a difference between being demanding and being demeaning. I do not want either of my DDs going into their adult lives expecting that verbal abuse and harassment is acceptable from a coach, a boss, or a partner.

Sep 29, 2014
Players said Revelle asked them to report to her on each other’s love lives and texted players at all hours of the day and night. In one instance, a player said Revelle texted her nearly 100 times over the course of one afternoon.

Ahhhh^^^^^^^this is not coaching.

One recent former player said she suffered an injury during a game, and while lying in bed that night crying in pain, she received harassing text messages from Revelle questioning her injury. According to several players, investigators were told of another former player who was bullied into playing through a thumb injury only to be told by a family doctor who examined her that she should have been in a cast for a month. Her family covered the medical bills out of pocket. Investigators also were told of a player who was in a serious car accident and said she was rushed straight to an away game without receiving a concussion test and later suffered headaches and post-concussion symptoms.

^^^^ this is more common but still not acceptable

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
I have no knowledge of either side's truth. However, there seems to be a lot of "someone said" information being bandied about. In this digital age where there is a camera/mic on everyone at all times, it seems to me for the internal case to essentially be dismissed, could most of these claims really be true/proven? Clearly when a type A personality has been in charge and successful as long as Revelle has, there would have to be a "my way" atmosphere. But I wonder if this was a recent change on her part or a change in what players think they are now entitled to? I agree with some of the comments above; players do have rights. But in this age of entitlement, one of the rights that we have is to walk away. In the time my kids had started travel ball to now the travel ball drama between players, coaches, and parents (mostly parents) took off like wild fire. I wonder if this atmosphere is ever increasing in collegiate programs as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802