Comments on FRAMING

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Brought this over from another post.

Thank you to @John 800 for their contribution below.
*Does anyone know of the show that produced the stats info they mentioned ?
Add some gooogle links?!! Thnx

Screenshot_2021-06-07-06-42-47-1.png
Have also experienced Coaches recognizing when better framing mechanics applied,
(including D1 coaches)
bringing feedback of the better stats they recorded.

~ Enjoy the experience of watching two catchers with different sets of mechanics than eachother
( opposite teams with same umpire in game)
And CLEARLY notice one
catcher getting more strikes in their favor.
*Anyone else pick up on this?!

GO CATCHERS

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
RAD, what do you like to see from catchers framing? Do you like them reach out and use wrist to stick or do you like them to catch the ball deep? Moving head behind the I’m assuming is something you like to see

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
RAD, what do you like to see from catchers framing? Do you like them reach out and use wrist to stick or do you like them to catch the ball deep? Moving head behind the I’m assuming is something you like to see
Prefer~ Receive/Frame out front.
Which starts with strong arm out. More subtle overall.

(Not hold glove next to chest and then pop arm/glove out.
Tends to add exagerated
un-needed movements.
Especially un-needed visual for the umpire to see
catcher reaching from in zone to away/out of zone. Seeing arm/glove pop out.
Also that can tend to paddle the ball away. Spin can make this worse.)

Head bob un-necessary why exagerate going to the outside?
No thank you!

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021
Bad framing is the easiest way to level the playing field in the battle between a good hitter and a good pitcher.

Catchers are the smartest, most important skill position player on the field. I was always told this, but it took years of watching my own DD play with better and better catchers to really have it hammered home. It's a fact. Watching a good catcher simply snap or rotate her wrist at glove closure an almost Imperceptible amount yet move a pitch 4 inches or more in the process is magic.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
I remember seeing/reading the show or study that you mention in the OP. It was clear just how important this skillset really is.

Jul 22, 2015
I don't know how many "extra" strikes good framing really gets you, but it certainly makes it easier for an umpire to call a strike a strike. I'm not sure what it's called, but there's been a trend in recent years for the catcher to shift their entire body towards the pitch and try to catch it in the middle of the body so they don't reach. As an umpire, all of that body movement makes it appear to me that the pitch is actually further out of the zone than it really is. I certainly try not to allow it to change what I would have called but it doesn't help me call more pitches strikes to be sure.

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
Ive always known that framing was important, but after seeing just how well UCLA’s catcher was at it, you could really see just how much of an art form framing really is. The thing I loved about her technique was that she didnt catch the ball in the middle of her body but instead would move her body where the ball was always on the inner half of her body as compared to the plate.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Your pitchers also know which catchers do a good job for them. When I see a catcher's glove being pulled out of the zone, it drives me bonkers.

Good catcher's keep strikes, strikes. Bad catchers makes strikes, balls. There is also a trust factor that builds up with the umpire on each ball that is pitched. There is no need to hold and stick every pitch when the ball is obviously a ball. This is where inexperienced catchers get it wrong. When you stick and hold an outside pitch that is ball, you piss off the umpire and you get your parents worked up into a tizzy. Just throw the ball back to the pitcher on those pitches.

Now the catcher has established that she knows and recognizes what a ball and strike look like, Let's get down to business shall we. Catchers can start sticking those close/iffy pitches if the umpire trusts you and boom...strikes. and then you can start moving a little bit more out of the zone further into the game to see if the ump is gonna work with you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22