Colorado Sparkler 2021

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 21, 2017
Hi all,
I am starting this thread because the CO Sparkler is around the corner and for my DD's team it will be our first time attending this event. So I wanted to get peoples thought on the event as a whole, the camps/showcases and college recruiting. Also, for those that have gone to provide any helpful tips on hotels, restaurants, events/attractions while in CO.
I will start off first, my DD's team is a 16U Team playing in the open pool. DD is already talking to 2 D3 coaches. Both will be there and will hopefully have a chance to meet and see DD play. Now she also interested in other universities ranging from D1 to D3. Now my questions are I know most camps are money makers for TCS and the coaches but are the individual camps and showcases worth it to gain exposure? Like the 16U/18U showcase and the Uncommitted evaluation camp, and college camp Sunday? What are your thoughts of the CSE (College Sports Evaluation) qualifier and Evaluation? Are College coaches only attending the power pools? Any must try restaurants or foods? Any 4th of July celebrations? With COVID still around how is CO handling it, still wearing mask or have they lifted it like Texas? Thanks in advance and see you all in CO.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2019
Following....my DD is a first year 14u player and we are playing in the Sparkler for the first time in the Open pool. Hoping to make a splash in order to get into the Power Pool next year. As of right now, we are signed up for the showcase scrimmage but I was also curious about the other camps.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
My opinion and only my opinion: if you are not in Power Pools and are not interested in attending college out West, it's not worth the expense. We went two years ago and were placed in far-flung parks and never saw a college coach once. The trip was fun and Colorado is beautiful, don't get me wrong, but we're talking $5000 (airfare, lodging, food) for three of us for a week not to mention time lost from not working (DH and I are self-employed). Nothing came out of it recruiting-wise for DD. Now if money is no object and you just want a nice vacation with a little softball thrown in, it fits the bill.

Dec 11, 2010
It will probably be really hard to get coaches to the satellite fields. It’s not impossible. Focus on colleges from a geographic area, maybe a radius 2-4 hours from where most players reside on the team. Cast a wide net. Cover schools above and especially below the level you think you can play at. Start reaching out with intro emails by players and get in the habit of players sending schedules for the weekend early in the week and follow up emails about how the weekend went. With any luck, more than one player from the team will be hitting up the same coaches from the same school and generate enough interest to get them there.

While you are there keep updating coaches with schedules and updates. A team Twitter site with video might really be good, and link it in the emails the player is sending.

At this age you are playing the long game. You won’t get responses to emails and that can get discouraging. You are just trying to generate some interest even if it’s for next year. You just have to keep putting your best foot forward and then take the next step. In this situation (open pools) I’d consider the camps even though we never did that. The coaches will be there but know they will be gushing over the power pool type kids, just tell the players to do their best, be willing to talk to coaches, make eye contact and try to start each station at the front of the line.

This probably isn’t the best plan! But having some kind of plan is better than no plan. Teams that go out there and have not done homework ahead of time will get absolutely no return out of it. Zero. It’s not even a good vacation because there really isn’t time to do anything except your one day off.

Last thought- I don’t know what it will be like this year. What age players will coaches be looking at? Will they be recruiting young kids or will they be recruiting out of the portal? I don‘t think anyone knows.

ETA- have never been to the sparkler. Have been to fireworks a couple times. I’m assuming a similar plan would work for both despite age differences.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
In the past, if you didn't have your Hotels lined up by this time, your choices will be limited and more expensive. We typically begin reserving our rooms in October. The way the Sparkler is set up, be prepared to drive A LOT.
Camps: If a college is on your list, go ahead and attend. Gotta get the chatter going for your DD.
When DD was a freshman we played in some type of Pool that seemed like an afterthought and we played at 3 different parks. Yes, coaches showed up. D1, D2, D3 and Jucos.

You will need to figure out what is an expense and what is an investment. An expense you will get no return. An investment, there is hope that there will be some return. Some of these Camps/evaluations are an Expense. Looking back at all the monies we spent on these recruiting activities, they were expenses. BUT DD got better, more confidence and more comfortable working with coaches and being around other players showing off their skills. The school that DD ended up at was never at any camps and only got on our radar in her last 2 months of her recruiting journey. It was from TB coach relationship with the college coach.

Aug 23, 2016
Nice to see this post as our Family is asking the same questions. Coming in from Canada, if boarder restrictions allow,
Coming in for the TCS International challenge and playing the TCS second week as a guest player on a supplemental Power Pool Team. totally green to these big American events. what should we expect, any advice, Daughter is decent player, Some contact with D3 schools, still young as a 2006 but playing in the U16 level. Thanks.

Nov 18, 2013
If OnDeck still does their tryouts and jamboree just before the tournament I’d highly recommend it. The other all star events are fun for the kids, but mainly a money grab. There were several college coaches in attendance though. There was an academic all star game that was heavily attended by coaches. If they’re still doing that it’s worth it.

You’ll hear chatter that the coaches only watch the power pools or are over at the other tournaments. The Sparkler is like any other showcase. If the kids are in contact with coaches and they’re interested they’ll be at the games. You won’t see many coaches wandering around looking for recruits at the out of the way fields, but who cares if you can get the schools you’re interested in out there.

Coaches from all over the country are in Colorado for the tournaments. DD had Minnesota and Iowa State watching her in Denver. They can watch locally, but they want to see the kids perform against top talent. The Sparkler is the least prestigious of the Colorado tourneys, but you’ll find plenty of good teams, even outside the power pools.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
My opinion and only my opinion: if you are not in Power Pools and are not interested in attending college out West, it's not worth the expense. We went two years ago and were placed in far-flung parks and never saw a college coach once. The trip was fun and Colorado is beautiful, don't get me wrong, but we're talking $5000 (airfare, lodging, food) for three of us for a week not to mention time lost from not working (DH and I are self-employed). Nothing came out of it recruiting-wise for DD. Now if money is no object and you just want a nice vacation with a little softball thrown in, it fits the bill.

Wow...I think I want some Disneyworld in the mix for that kind of money!

That's a chunk of tuition at most schools.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Wow...I think I want some Disneyworld in the mix for that kind of money!

That's a chunk of tuition at most schools.

I forgot rental car expense. And if you haven't already rented a car for July, there will be few to none available. Two years ago, there were NONE available when we arrived and the one we had reserved was not available. What a huge cluster that was.

Jun 8, 2016
I think a few of the local (OK) 12u teams are treating the Jr Sparkler as an end of season “Nationals”. While it will be more expensive than any of the other driveable Nationals, looking at who is going, the competition will be a lot better than any of the other end of season events outside of maybe PGF and Alliance championships, both of which are in CA for that age group.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802