Colorado IDT and Fireworks plans

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2014
Was hoping to get a sense from forum members here regarding plans for the 4th of July Colorado showcases. Specifically coaches and parents from 16u teams as this is the prime recruiting event of the summer. We are from the Northeast and generally have significant travel for major events. DD's team is all in to go but we are starting to hear about a few well known teams cancelling, as well as at least one Mid Major coach not going. Our coach is concerned that we will possibly be undergoing all of the time, expense, and anxiety of travelling during a pandemic only to find watered down competition and a significantly reduced number of college coaches in attendance.

So let's hear what your organization/team is doing

Mar 2, 2011
michigan
The Organization my DD plays for, will make a final decision on whether to go or not, by the end of May. Too many "variables" at this time, i.e., how many coaches will be attending, extent of the virus, etc.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

May 16, 2016
FWIW... Our team is 14u, and I believe we have pulled out of the Sparkler. I think we will apply our fee towards a future tournament.

I heard there was talk about a Triple Crown Plan B, where Triple Crown might change the location to TX or GA, if that happens we may reconsider and drive. But we are not flying anywhere this summer.

Our coaches said the college coaches they spoke with are not going to national showcases this summer, and will focus on regional recruiting this year. The consensus was, if college coaches are not going, there was no point in us going. Being 16u might change your calculations I guess.

Nov 5, 2014
FWIW... Our team is 14u, and I believe we have pulled out of the Sparkler. I think we will apply our fee towards a future tournament.

I heard there was talk about a Triple Crown Plan B, where Triple Crown might change the location to TX or GA, if that happens we may reconsider and drive. But we are not flying anywhere this summer.

Our coaches said the college coaches they spoke with are not going to national showcases this summer, and will focus on regional recruiting this year. The consensus was, if college coaches are not going, there was no point in us going. Being 16u might change your calculations I guess.

Can I ask what state you are in?

One issue for Northeast teams is the difficulty in staying regional. Team NJ is putting together a tournament for that same weekend to give northeast teams an alternative but I question how well it will be attended by coaches.

Our coaches are trying to reach out to as many coaches as possible to get a feel for who is and is not going. One big clue for my DD and 2 of her teammates will be whether the All Ivy camp, on Monday before games start, cancels or not. If that is on we know at least 8 of her target schools will be in attendance

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
We are pulling out of Boulder IDT. There is already the TCS SW Nationals in Austin, and I believe many organizations will make that their big Nationals. Texas teams are also working to put together a Summer League finishing with a WCWS format ending tournament for the finals. They are trying to make it awesome for the kids and families and make it something the college coaches will be able to come to. There is talk of streaming the league games too along with stats. Work in progress at this point.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Our team (second year 16U) was not planning to go this year, for which I am thankful. Unless you are in a Power Pool, it's just not worth the expense (or now the health risk). Last year while DD was on a different team, we went and were stuck in all the satellite parks and saw virtually no coaches. If you are in a Power Pool AND your kids are interested in schools out West, maybe it would be worth it, I guess. But there's no way in heck I would be flying In late June unless it's absolutely necessary. YMMV.

Feb 28, 2015
Heatbox
DD2 just had a team meeting yesterday. Coach said to plan on going to CO. But, if good competition is not there we won't go. Also, planning on Portland USSSA and PGF. I can't see any of these tourneys drawing the number of teams as in the past. Thinking some parents can't afford a couple week long trips due to work or lack of work. Over 1/2 our team is verbally committed so not sure what it would accomplish if no Coaches show up.

May 31, 2018
Allen TX
Plan B for Sparkler was hosting in Colorado, Texas, AND Georgia. Colorado and West attend that one, Central attend Texas, and East attend Georgia. A vast majority of the big orgs in Texas are flexing some muscle and highly suggesting this needs to happen. I believe PGF is going to do the same and hosting Regional Nationals.

Nov 5, 2014
You better hope the NCAA dead period doesn’t get extended into the summer or you may not be going anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I obviously don't want that to happen but at least if it did we would have some certainty and could adjust our plans accordingly. Now we are all just flying blind not knowing what will happen