Collision question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2017
Curious if there was a rule broken on this, or if it was just an extreme version of "making the tag"

Runner on 1st trying to steal. SS covering base and throw takes her to 2B side. She catches ball at same time as colliding into runner (imagine a WR going over the middle and getting hit by a linebacker....) To try and help with timing of play, the runner would have been out by a couple steps with a good throw to the base. So where contact happened, both runner and SS were basically going full speed. Umpire called runner out because tag was made. (Glove hit runner in chest as impact occurred).

Aug 25, 2019
Well if tag was made i guess she is out. The runner cannot interfere with a fielder fielding a batted ball, but it would be obstruction if fielder was chasing a thrown ball and collided with runner. But since fielder had ball and made tag,, it's an out, no rule broken.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Unless the SS was impeding the runner before the ball arrived, that's the right call. Based on the "bang bang" nature of those plays, I suspect that the runner would have been safe had she slid.

Oct 11, 2018
This is one of those plays that you had to be there to really assess the call. But its hard for me to imagine the runner didn't flinch or veer before getting pummeled. If the runner made any motion to avoid before the fielder had the ball that would be obstruction and either you put runner back to 1st or award her 2nd, but she would not be out. But had to be there.

May 29, 2015
Second dumbest thing I ever said to a coach ... “She’s not out for not sliding, she’s out for not sliding.”

Depending on the collision, there could be some ramifications (read: ejection) if the umpire deemed it intentional and malicious. From the OP’s description though, just sounds like a bad break.

May 29, 2015
There is no must slide rule in any major ruleset.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Comp, I have never called Little League so I may be wrong ... but I thought LL did have a slide rule.

Anybody with experience who can confirm/deny?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28