Collegiate Sports Cancellations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Softball will likely be impacted by other college athletic programs shutting down due to COVID-19 and associated issues. Some programs and schools are cancelling all Fall Sports right now (June 2020) regardless of whether there Conference is go/no go or on a reduced schedule. To my way of thinking this doesn't bode well and illustrates the way these administrators are approaching this "Pandemic" and how they prioritize the student athletes at their school. I would expect to see a difference in the various levels of NCAA programs.

So far I've heard of these schools cancelling Fall Athletics (competition), please add others you know of. Hopefully, this does NOT extend to Winter and Spring sports!

Bowdoin (ME)(DIII)
Grinnell (IA) (DIII)
TCNJ (NJ)
Williams (MA) (DIII)
CCAA (12 member league of DII Schools)

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Broward College (JUCO) took the opportunity to cut the entire athletic dept (8 sports) including softball. I believe they were already leaning this way (they really have never invested or taken athletics seriously and a lot of their conference does) and this was a great excuse to wield the axe.

For softball, Flordia Memorial University(NAIA) is starting a program down the road and a the coach and a lot of the players have already moved there.

So lost one, gained one

Feb 15, 2017
If the rumors that they may delay NCAA football to the spring is true, then all collegiate sports are finished

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Centennial Conference (DIII) suspends all Fall sports

Also just in - MIT cancels

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2017
Sounds like there were already some financial issues pre-Covid, but Stanford is cutting 11 varsity sports after this season.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Sounds like there were already some financial issues pre-Covid, but Stanford is cutting 11 varsity sports after this season.
Stanford has all kinds of issues. This was not completely C19 driven but certainly played into the decision. They cannot figure out how to open school and seem much more concerned with ongoing social issues than getting their house in order. They have an a business model that grows more unsustainable in the face of C19, Bay Area Economics, and other factors.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802