College Visit? LOL!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2008
Bad manners are never justified. Assuming you were on the coach's home campus there is no reason for the coach to not at least say "Nice to meet you. Sorry I don't have time to talk right now but I look forward to seeing your video." Just like a player never knows who is watching, a coach never knows who knows who. Whoever this coach's main competition is would be under consideration for my new #1 choice of where to play. :)

Jun 22, 2008
At least the coach didnt call you, invite you to come on a visit, then after you get there, she tells you to go tour the campus by yourself. Daughter works out with team for 3 hours, when it is over coach comes over, says she would really like to stay and chat but has some personal things to deal with and cant stay. Really would like daughter to come play for them, but she has already offered out all her money and wont know for 60 days if she has any left. She leaves and tells us one of the players we know will show daughter the dorms. We watch as assistant coach proceeds to verbally berate the girls for 30 minutes while running wind sprints dropping the F bomb about 100 times in the process.

Daughter chose not to go to that school, signed with another and beat 1st school about 8 of the 10 times they played them.

May 12, 2008
At least the coach didnt call you, invite you to come on a visit, then after you get there, she tells you to go tour the campus by yourself. Daughter works out with team for 3 hours, when it is over coach comes over, says she would really like to stay and chat but has some personal things to deal with and cant stay. Really would like daughter to come play for them, but she has already offered out all her money and wont know for 60 days if she has any left. She leaves and tells us one of the players we know will show daughter the dorms. We watch as assistant coach proceeds to verbally berate the girls for 30 minutes while running wind sprints dropping the F bomb about 100 times in the process.

Daughter chose not to go to that school, signed with another and beat 1st school about 8 of the 10 times they played them.

Sweet. And hopefully your DD played a key role in at least some of the wins. :)

May 12, 2008
Comp, what a terrible thing. I feel for you and your daughter. Yes, I guess I should look at it like I invited us. However, we drove almost 3 hours and so, some courtesy would be expected. We did see some great games and so, it was still worth it.

I've gone and talked to a lot of coaches as a head high school coach. I've always found them accessible but I do have a good reputation in baseball. I guess things are different to some degree in softball and do realize the focus is more on travel teams and recruiting. I just wasn't expecting this.

I doubt it's really different. People are just people. Some are nicer than others and sometimes the nice ones have a bad day. Count yourselves lucky to see this side of the coach now instead of later.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
With due respect, the coaches have to follow the NCAA rules on recruiting. They can't make exceptions. You are new to this, but the rules are the rules.

Because your DD is a sophomore, an NCAA coach can have *NO* contact with your DD. The rule is very, very clear on this. "A contact is any face-to-face encounter in excess of an exchange of greeting." All the coach could do was say, "Hello." That is it. If she says one more word, she is violating the NCAA rules. If she violates the NCAA rules, she has to "self report" the violation or she gets into even more trouble.

You are not going to find softball coaches get even close to testing the boundaries of the NCAA rules.

I previously posted for you a link to the "cheat sheet" from the NCAA, so here it is again. Recruiting Cheat Sheet

May 12, 2008
I'm assuming they were on the coach's home campus. Away from campus the D1 coaches I've been around have felt free to say, "I'm sorry, I can't talk to you". That would be good manners.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Good point, Mark. The coach was rude.

You have to develop a thick skin when you want your kid recruited. Send out tapes to everyone, and follow up with calls. Many college softball coaches aren't much better than HS coaches. (For every 40-5 team out there, there is also a 5-40 team.)

Ray

May 12, 2008
You have to develop a thick skin when you want your kid recruited.

Ray

Yes, one of the things I tell parents and kids is, don't be shy. If they want you, they will be glad to get an email from you every time you have something new to tell them like a new scheduled game or a four hit game or some such. Coaches like to recruit kids who want to be there. Let them know that. If they don't want you and think you email or call too much, what do you care? If they are impressed with your play and you are often on their minds they may recommend you to another coach.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
If they are impressed with your play and you are often on their minds they may recommend you to another coach.

Very true...my DD ended up at Ohio U because the coach at Kansas decided to take another player, but the Kansas coach recommended my DD to the OU coach.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28