College Visit? LOL!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2008
Goes the other way too. Impress a coach negatively in terms of behavior and a bunch of coaches are likely to hear about it.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Well, I think she was rude, too. But at least she didn't glad hand you and act like you were the next softball God and the best thing to ever walk on campus. I can't stand a phony.

Maybe your DD was the 10th teen to be brought up to her that day. But, still she could have said "nice to meet you" and then walked away.

Jul 29, 2008
With due respect, the coaches have to follow the NCAA rules on recruiting. They can't make exceptions. You are new to this, but the rules are the rules.

Because your DD is a sophomore, an NCAA coach can have *NO* contact with your DD. The rule is very, very clear on this. "A contact is any face-to-face encounter in excess of an exchange of greeting." All the coach could do was say, "Hello." That is it. If she says one more word, she is violating the NCAA rules. If she violates the NCAA rules, she has to "self report" the violation or she gets into even more trouble.

You are not going to find softball coaches get even close to testing the boundaries of the NCAA rules.

I previously posted for you a link to the "cheat sheet" from the NCAA, so here it is again. Recruiting Cheat Sheet

That is not true. If this was a home game (on the coach's campus), the coach was free to talk to the sophomore player and parent since it was not during a dead period if the game was after April 10th.

Same concept as unofficial visits.

Although you didn't break any rules, I don't think I would approach a coach about a prospect after a game. But I would make sure the introduction was made with an immediate follow up by your DD about how much she enjoyed the game and meeting them. She still lacked manners though!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You are right, Tex. I was wrong. It would not have been a violation for the coach to have talked to your DD.

Ray

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Don't overlook D2 and D3 schools. They offer some serious benefits over D1 programs.

I had one DD play D1 and another play D3. If I had it do over again, they both would have played D3. There is no comparison between an athlete's education at a good D3 school and a D1 school--meaning, they actually get an education at a D3 school.

Certainly, SIUE has a good softball program. Truman State may be an up and coming one. North Central College in Naperville, IL has a pretty good softball program.

Ray

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood