College recruiting requirements

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2018
This might be a dumb question but, do you have to be a 4 year varsity starter to be recruited for D1? My daughter sat the whole high school season but is getting serious looks from D1, D2 and D3 coaches. The schools she is targeting are mostly D1 and D3. (Based on major and other factors, like location). This is all based on her TB and what she has done in camps. Nothing at all to do with HS. I’m only asking because the D1 school that is showing interest doesn’t know anything about her high school career yet. I thought I read somewhere that being a 4 year varsity starter was a requirement for a D1 scholarship. Maybe that varies from school to school?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 16, 2015
South East
This might be a dumb question but, do you have to be a 4 year varsity starter to be recruited for D1? My daughter sat the whole high school season but is getting serious looks from D1, D2 and D3 coaches. The schools she is targeting are mostly D1 and D3. (Based on major and other factors, like location). This is all based on her TB and what she has done in camps. Nothing at all to do with HS. I’m only asking because the D1 school that is showing interest doesn’t know anything about her high school career yet. I thought I read somewhere that being a 4 year varsity starter was a requirement for a D1 scholarship. Maybe that varies from school to school?

There are many girls who don’t even play HS ball that are committed and I would think currently playing for power 5 teams at this very moment.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Ok then it must be some fake information I got. Thank you.

I have read articles in the past that had certain statements pertaining to what does it take to be a D1 college softball player. Then proceeded to write about how you need to be a 4 year varsity starter on your HS team, blah, blah , blah. Maybe you are confusing something like that we it being a requirement.

Jun 27, 2018
I believe that is what it was. Some sort of article like that.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Maybe your kid goes to a 5A type school with 2-3000 kids where just making the Varsity team is saying something. Now throw in a Coach who wants to reward his seniors and you have a situation where freshman and sophomores don't play. DD went to a school where only 3-4 kids got cut. She and several other Freshman were starters all four years. NO college coach ever asked about her HS playing time. It was all her Travel team that mattered.

Jun 8, 2016

Depends on why your kid sat. If she sat because your HS is full of P5 D1 players (not sure how many of those there are..) and/or she is just a freshmen or a sophomore (you didn't say what year she was) or the coach is just an idiot then it won't matter. If your kid sat because she is a pain in the arse then it might matter....

Jun 27, 2018
No she didn’t sit for attitude at all. Good work ethic and manners. (That’s what I’m most proud of, the person she is becoming!) She transferred to a new school and they already had an established catcher. Same grade. The only thing that was frustrating was she wasn’t even given a chance to compete for the position. They didn’t even have real practices during the high school season. It was bad. Half the team showed up on any given day and it didn’t matter. And then they just did some hitting stations and some throwing. She went to every practice and it was really hard because the coach didn’t care or not who was there. Thankfully that is over. She got through it because she knew TB was coming. So she went from not playing in high school at all to playing almost every game in TB.

Jun 11, 2012
While it’s not a requirement and travel ball is much more important some coaches think HS sports are important, sometimes for no reason other than learning to deal with adversity.

I am 100% sure DDs coaches followed her HS career possibly because we live less than 20 miles from the school, possibly because they were always a top 10 team even though they were the lowest division because of size, I just know that she received numerous texts and emails Senior season from her now coach telling her she read about her great game or what not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802