College playing opportunities...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ez_softball

Life at the diamond...
Apr 14, 2017
What a ride the past few months have been. We have learned so much about the recruiting process. This forum and this thread has assisted us greatly navigating through the rough recruiting waters. We learned how coaches can really vary on how they deal with recruiting. For the most part it has been an enjoyable process outside of the stress of not knowing where my daughter would end up.

The desired school had their invite only recruiting weekend and it went well but there was little follow-up afterwards. Because of that, we set things in motion assuming that the coach wasn't interested in my daughter.

We began whittling down offers and making a condensed list of schools to play at. These were all 4 year schools as we eliminated going the JUCO route. We ruled out DIII schools because of the lack of athletic money. We also realized that DI schools weren't beating down the door even though there was lots of lower level interest. With that all being said, we focused on DII NCAA schools and higher level NAIA schools. We met with coaches from a couple schools that were interested in my daughter but didn't have any softball money left for 2020's. Those coaches promised to make up the money in the last 3 years of her career. In the end, we had about 5 schools that we believed could be viable options. The attention of having all these different offers felt great but not getting to go where she wanted was a bit disheartening.

Almost 2 months after the recruiting weekend the desired schools coach reached out again. We began working towards the possibility that she might get an offer after all. When it's all said and done, she did get a great offer and she is going to end up there. After months and months of work pursuing all the different options, she ended up getting exactly what she wanted and gets to play and attend the school she desired. (y)

As I have more time in the coming weeks I'll share more information about our experience. I will say that some of the experience aligns well with the things repeated over and over on this forum but there are some other things don't necessarily mesh with the consensus on what college coaches look at and/or want/need from a recruit.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
You’re lucky to find the right fit! During the recruiting proces everyone assumed DD would go mid major D1. When she committed to a D3 it felt like a funeral, lol! People said she’s better than that. Why did she “settle”?

When it came time to answer the only question that mattered, “Would you go there if you didn’t play softball?” There was only one school for her. Everybody has their home. Embrace it! Congratulations!

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
You’re lucky to find the right fit! During the recruiting proces everyone assumed DD would go mid major D1. When she committed to a D3 it felt like a funeral, lol! People said she’s better than that. Why did she “settle”?

When it came time to answer the only question that mattered, “Would you go there if you didn’t play softball?” There was only one school for her. Everybody has their home. Embrace it! Congratulations!
That is exactly how non softball people reacted to my DD's D3 verbal as a JR. The HS Athletic director asked me what if "Big t.ime Tx School" offered her a spot a today? My response was...that offer would have happened a couple of years ago if she was a major D1 recruit . As of now I don't think there is a better fit based on academics, finances, softball, location that is available. Coach, is there something better that I am not aware of??? I didn't think so. People outside of softball have no clue. They only know football stats. I think we as DFP parents have a better idea of what the end goal looks like and what is a good fit for our kids. I am seeing many kids that have not had a good college softball experience in the last couple of years. Most are not prepared for college softball. They are in a program that is above their skill level, their commitment level, home sick, boy sick, it's party time, etc. This really goes for many freshman students that are not ready for the college experience altogether.

I had a TCU 6'7" freshman def lineman and a IVY league Def back show up to my house last week. Their stories were totally different and so interesting. Both playing D1 football yet so opposing experiences and so different goals. Ultimately, getting that degree that is marketable is the goal that gets the kid off the parents payroll is the plan.

Jun 27, 2018

This! My DD has received interest by a mid major D1. She’s not interested. She’s also not interested in any D2. The schools that line up with her comfort for size, location and major are all D3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 6, 2019
As I have more time in the coming weeks I'll share more information about our experience. I will say that some of the experience aligns well with the things repeated over and over on this forum but there are some other things don't necessarily mesh with the consensus on what college coaches look at and/or want/need from a recruit.

Definitely looking forward to this.

Jun 27, 2018
A small update, my daughter is picking a major not offered by all schools. (She’s been mostly in contact with D3) There is a D1 and a D2 school, both within 45 min of home that offer this degree. She emailed both coaches back in October and told them both that she just decided on this major and found both schools in looking for the major. She gave them her academic and softball info. Neither replied at that time. So she just assumed they weren’t looking for her class anymore, or they just weren’t interested for any other reason. Strangely enough, she received an email from both coaches this morning. Two completely different schools. Both said they are still recruiting 2021’s and they both asked for her Summer schedule. I know the D1 invited her to an upcoming prospect camp, the D2 might have too. So what’s really going on here? Are these coaches just getting back to work after the holiday break? It’s been at least a couple of months since she sent those emails. Maybe they are just taking stock and looking at what they still need after I’m sure recruiting kids from the Fall season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802