College Letter of Recommendation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2022
I have a current HS senior player who has asked for a college letter of recommendation. I coached her in middle school and again in high school. I do not have much acadmeic interaction with her. I am trying to compose a decent letter on her behalf but I am struggling. Does anyone have an example they have used in the past?

May 20, 2015

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
If you are coaching at a HS, I'd suggest asking one of the HC counselors for a sample or two. If they don't have one ask one the teachers.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I have a current HS senior player who has asked for a college letter of recommendation. I coached her in middle school and again in high school. I do not have much acadmeic interaction with her. I am trying to compose a decent letter on her behalf but I am struggling. Does anyone have an example they have used in the past?

You don't need to have any academic interaction with her.

What is she like as a person? What is she like as a player? What is she like as a teammate?

What kind of work ethic does she have? Is she a team leader? What kind of challenges has she overcome? What impresses you about her?

You've known her for so many years, it really should be easy to talk about her.

May 20, 2015
i've seen some coach letters that focus on the sport at hand; not a fan, if a college is looking at them, they know the sport angle

focus on the type of person they are, the type of player, work ethic, coachability, what type of teammate they are, leadership......the intangibles and tangibles that set them aside from other candidates

doesn't have to be long, doesn't have to be wordy.......but from the heart makes a huge difference

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
i've seen some coach letters that focus on the sport at hand; not a fan, if a college is looking at them, they know the sport angle

focus on the type of person they are, the type of player, work ethic, coachability, what type of teammate they are, leadership......the intangibles and tangibles that set them aside from other candidates

doesn't have to be long, doesn't have to be wordy.......but from the heart makes a huge difference

Agreed. Don't focus too much on the softball specifics, unless you have some anecdote that will highlight a positive aspect of her as a person. Listing her career stats is not good. But talking about how because of her work ethic, she went from being a bench player to a starter and team captain who led the team in a bunch of offensive categories could be effective.

You're crafting a narrative. You're telling a story. What story do you want to tell about this person who believes in you as a coach enough to ask you to write this letter?

Jun 21, 2019
I was just asked to do the same. The only softball specific items I mentioned was her improvement as a player year by year, showing her work ethic, etc. The rest was personal traits. Leadership, being a good teammate, etc.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
The school should have school letterhead to use. That makes the recommendation look more professional.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28