College Coaching Friend?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It probably will be an issue.

A "contact" in the NCAA is any face-to-face contact (other than saying "hello"--and I mean only "hello") between the coach and the athlete OR between the coach and parent. So, if he talks to you, it is as if he is talking to your DD, so that contact is limited prior to July 1 following your DD's Junior.

Here is a link to the NCAA information:

NCAA D1 recruiting guidelines

May 12, 2008
I think there is a provision for a pre-existing relationship. Check that before you take my word for it but I don't believe NCAA rules require jettisoning friends.

A college coach can talk to a travel team coach. Who knows who they are discussing after all.

Dec 3, 2008
Mark H. is right about the pre-existing relationship. See my post below this for the official rule. Also, he is correct about the communication between a college coach and a travel team coach. That is why I initially asked you the question...

If you're listed as a coach, you can have as much contact as you would like with your friend at the local college concerning your daughter. College coaches and travel ball coaches do not have communication restrictions placed on them. You can feel free to speak with him during tournaments at which he is recruiting, as long as you're doing so as a member of your team's coaching staff. Nice how that works! It's not much of a surprise, then, when team's rosters have five or six dads listed as coaches, now.

Also, and you're probably aware of this, but any contact your daughter initiates via phone or in person while on campus is permissible. Email is permissible for 2010's and older.

Dec 3, 2008
13.1.2.1 General Rule: All in-person, on- and off-campus recruiting contacts with a prospective student athlete or PSA's relatives or legal guardian(s) shall be made only by authorized institutional staff members. Such contact, as well as correspondence and telephone calls, by representatives of an institution's athletic interests is prohibited except as otherwise permitted in this section...

13.1.2.2 General Exceptions. This regulation is not applicable to...

(d) Established Family Friend/Neighbor: Contacts made with a PSA by an established family friend or neighbor, it being understood that such contacts are not made for recruiting purposes and are not initiated by a member of an institution's coaching staff.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
13.1.2.2 says "this regulation is not applicable to..." The regulation that is being referred to in 13.1.2.2 is 13.1.2 entitled "permissible recruiters". So, a friend of the family can be a "permissible recruiter". The structure of the rules shows that 13.1.2.2 is a subheading of 13.1.2.

However, that is not the issue. Clearly, the coach of the team is a "permissible recruiter". The problem is with 13.1, which restricts contacts. I don't believe the 13.1.2.2 exception applies to 13.1.

If it is a D1 school, the school certainly has someone on campus who can check with the NCAA on compliance issues.

Ray

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28