College Camp: Money Grab or Real Exposure?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
DD (2022) has been doing camps at schools ranging from D3 to big SEC schools. I've learned a lot over the past 3 years regarding how to differentiate real Exposure camps from money grabs. We've seen pretty much the full range.

DD went to camp at a D1 mid-major today that she's been to several times previously. The camp website specifically lists a maximum number of campers (70) and a maximum number for each primary position. She gets there and there are at least 25 more than that there. Virtually no contact with the coaches this time around.

It's frustrating as a parent to travel 300 miles to a camp thinking there will be a certain number of kids there and that the camp size will be manageable and then, surprise! It's a zoo. And of course, you don't want to complain, right?

Just had to vent. If we have folks on here with insider knowledge of running camps, I'd love to know what the thought process could have been to go so far over the number of kids that they said they would accept for the camp.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
"Money good."???

I understand that, but they made a big deal on the website about limiting the number of girls so that they can have much individual attention and exposure to the coaches. It just isn't a good look to say that and then cram in a significant number more than promised.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I understand that, but they made a big deal on the website about limiting the number of girls so that they can have much individual attention and exposure to the coaches. It just isn't a good luck to say that and then cram in a significant number more than promised.

Ok... Because they can get away with it. As you said, "I don't want to complain". Why not? Well because you know that would probably get your DD and possibly other players associated with her taken off their recruiting list.

If it is a school people want their kids to go to and the school generally gets the recruits they want, then they have the power to do stuff and people will let them get away with it. And also because next year there will be a whole new set of starry-eyed parents willing to sign up for their camp so you are just passing through and 2 years from now they probably will never see you ever again.

Not saying that it is right, and yes sometimes karma jumps up and bites them. But that is certainly how many people think.

My DD looked over my shoulder and said maybe they just didn't bother limiting signups with however registration was done and then last week they looked and 'whoops' and didn't want to tell anyone no. I love innocent minds.

Feb 18, 2012
Southwest PA
You said that your DD went to this D1 camp several times previously. Have they seen her play? Do they have any interest? If you answer yes to both, they were probably still watching her. If not they would get some feedback from the players on the team helping with the camp.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
You said that your DD went to this D1 camp several times previously. Have they seen her play? Do they have any interest? If you answer yes to both, they were probably still watching her. If not they would get some feedback from the players on the team helping with the camp.

She's a 2022, so they can't communicate with her yet. This is the third camp she's been to. It's hard to gauge their potential interest with the new rules as of yet. She'll keep going; this was just frustrating given that there were so many more there than promised.

Feb 18, 2012
Southwest PA
When they came to watch her play did her Head coach go out and talk to the coach to see if they had interest? College coach can say yes we have interest or no.

May 29, 2015
If it was a small overrun, I wouldn’t think much of it. You are always going to have people that can’t/don’t show at the last moment, so you always take a few more than you announced. With an announced size of 70, that overrun shouldn’t be more than 10 though (ideally 7, or 10%).

Has the coaching staff changed? Did it seem like a screwup?

(IMO, any open camp is a fundraiser more than a recruiting tool. But I’m no expert.)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802