College camp conflict

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2018
I meant to put this in the playing college softball forum...sorry. I don’t know how to move it..)

My daughter played in a college showcase this past weekend. She’s got a list of schools at all levels. She is scheduled for a college one day camp later this month hosted by a D-1 school that was not at this particular showcase. There are a couple of schools attending this one day event she is interested in.

So this past weekend the tournament hosted a pre-tournament clinic. There was a couple of coaches there from a D-1 school also on her list. She has never met any coaches from this school yet. They are not going to be at the event she is going to later this month. They are hosting their own camp on the same date. They made some good comments to her during the clinic. My DD has sent email to them expressing interest prior to this clinic. So the next day after the clinic she gets a reply from them basically saying “per NCAA guidelines we are not allowed to speak to you but we would like to invite you to our prospect camp.” So I don’t know if this means they actually have a little bit of interest or if they just send this to everyone. Problem is she is already registered in the other school’s camp the same day. Those coaches haven’t seen her yet.

So do you send her to the D1 school’s camp that she is scheduled at? She is going in cold and they haven’t met her yet. Other schools will be there including a D3 that likes her. This is paid for already.

Or, does she go to the D1 school that maybe showed a little bit of interest and sent her an invite. There will also be other schools here but I don’t know which ones.

Same date. Both schools hosting each event on her list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 18, 2013
Have her write back to the school that just invited her to the camp. Thank them for their interest and say she has a conflict that day and would be sure to sign up for their next camp. There's no rush yet if she still can't talk to them.

In general a direct invitation to camp is a good sign,. Especially considering this wasn't an unsolicited mass mailing. "Prospect camp" is another good sign. That said, some schools call camps "prospect" like teams call themselves gold. Aggressively target the schools she wants to attend and try not to read anything into responses, or lack of them. Keep at it and things will start falling into place.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
You chances of getting recruited without going to at least one camp are less with each passing season. It is the norm now. If you do not go one of the camps your chances are pretty slim. I know one school that does a prospect camp in the Fall inviting Seniors where there is already some mutual interest. Offers are made at the end of the day.

Jun 27, 2018
The third option is I could attend the original camp she’s scheduled for...I just found out the other school has a one day hitting camp. I’ll send her to that. So she can still get in front of both schools coaches. She will have to email them she cannot attend their prospect camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23