College bat sizes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 23, 2017
So I have a question for anyone who has a daughter playing in college. Does anyone still have a daughter using a 32” bat in college. Have a good true lefty slapper/hitter on my team 5’4. 125. who uses a 32 and was told by girls on her soon to be college team the coach won’t let her use it. She has tried moving up to a 33 before and hit fine but she just likes the 32 in her hands better.

Watched a UCLA batter the other day swinging a 33 and was choked up at least 4” on the bat to the point the announcers actually said something about it. Plus most of the smaller girls choke up on those 33 and 34 anyway.

I remember a thread here at one time from a girl playing D1 who said she broke a 33 bat and picked up and old 32 and loved it so much she never went and bought another 33.

Jun 11, 2012
DD will be a college sophomore next season and swings a 33” 23 oz bat and has since sophomore year of HS. She’s about 5’5” and weighs 118.
Most of the girls on her team swing 33s with one or two bats in either direction

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
DD's team seems to be split between 33s and 34s (DD uses a 34). I am not aware of any 32s on the team, but to my knowledge the coach doesn't restrict them. There doesn't seem to be much discussion about bat size on her team.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
My cousin's DD played SS on a WCWS winning team. She is 5'9" and played at probably 150lbs. She was in great shape and unbelievably strong. She played with an Easton school and couldn't stand the Mako when it came out so she swung a Stealth until it finally broke. She was stuck with a Mako until a kid left a 32" Stealth at a summer camp. After it was never claimed she picked it up the next spring and used it for her senior year and had a great year. She knew she could still cover the strike zone with it so it wasn't a big deal to her and ended up having her best offensive year.

Sep 29, 2014
Yeah bigger deal will probably be school sponsor, she will have to swing whatever bat is sponsoring the school, not sure that if you are producing coach is going to care.

Apr 23, 2017
My cousin's DD played SS on a WCWS winning team. She is 5'9" and played at probably 150lbs. She was in great shape and unbelievably strong. She played with an Easton school and couldn't stand the Mako when it came out so she swung a Stealth until it finally broke. She was stuck with a Mako until a kid left a 32" Stealth at a summer camp. After it was never claimed she picked it up the next spring and used it for her senior year and had a great year. She knew she could still cover the strike zone with it so it wasn't a big deal to her and ended up having her best offensive year.

That’s close to her exact issue loves her 32 ghost but the 33 ghost is too end heavy. Like the mako was. Tried 33 zen and lxt and swings them no problem more balanced but just loves that 32 ghost. I should say she’s one of the lucky ones who got a ghost only .5 over weight.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
That’s close to her exact issue loves her 32 ghost but the 33 ghost is too end heavy. Like the mako was. Tried 33 zen and lxt and swings them no problem more balanced but just loves that 32 ghost. I should say she’s one of the lucky ones who got a ghost only .5 over weight.

I honestly dont think it matters if the hitter is comfortable with it and can swing it well. DD is 16 in her first summer of 16U and her favorite bat is a CF8 Slapper 31". She has a 32 in her bag but loves the 31. She has swung that bat since she got it as a warranty replacement for a CF7 30-11 that cracked in her first year of 12U. This will probably be its last summer so we are looking for something new now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802