Collapsing front elbow

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
I noticed during my DD hitting yesterday she has a collapsing front elbow. What is that a symptom of? I've heard that the front arm is a "teach" and then I've heard that it's a response to the backside.

Jan 28, 2017
IMO, she is knob to the ball and you can't get the lead elbow up if truly knob to the ball. I think if for the lead arm to work up the knob has to work up before it gets to the middle of your chest. I personally think the knob should start working from the catchers feet.

Oct 2, 2017
IMO, she is knob to the ball and you can't get the lead elbow up if truly knob to the ball. I think if for the lead arm to work up the knob has to work up before it gets to the middle of your chest. I personally think the knob should start working from the catchers feet.
What do you mean by from the catchers feet

Jan 28, 2017
On your load/gather, whatever your term is IMO the knob should be at the catchers feet and your hands should start turning the barrel from that position.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

Knob gets pointed toward the catchers feet. I played with this action of radial deviation and it feels powerful.

Oct 2, 2017
On your load/gather, whatever your term is IMO the knob should be at the catchers feet and your hands should start turning the barrel from that position.

Oh Ok, She does get to that position. With the knob facing the catchers feet. I agree she probably doesnt TTB from their.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
There are several issues with this swing. The front arm is hardly ever an issue.

Here she is at toe touch. All of the issues started before this point.

'
1. Notice her neck is barely ahead of her back foot. She is striding with her front leg (bad), not her back leg.

2. Notice that her shoulders are coiled inward (good) but her hips are already open (bad)

3. Notice how far the tee is ahead of the ball of her front foot. (crazy bad)

4. I can't tell for sure, but she may be using a 'big knuckle' or 'punching knuckle alignment' (bad)

hitting-grip-big-knuckles.jpg

All of this results in this near contact

Notice how far both of her elbows are away from her torso.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
There are several issues with this swing. The front arm is hardly ever an issue.

Here she is at toe touch. All of the issues started before this point.

View attachment 14761
'
1. Notice her neck is barely ahead of her back foot. She is striding with her front leg (bad), not her back leg.

2. Notice that her shoulders are coiled inward (good) but her hips are already open (bad)

3. Notice how far the tee is ahead of the ball of her front foot. (crazy bad)

4. I can't tell for sure, but she may be using a 'big knuckle' or 'punching knuckle alignment' (bad)

hitting-grip-big-knuckles.jpg

All of this results in this near contact

.View attachment 14762

Notice how far both of her elbows are away from her torso.
I'm always open for suggestions. I try not to have her make a bunch of changes at once. A change here or there slowly over time. I do have a question on point #1 - How can a player be striding with their front foot, when the back knee is advancing? Take the Barry Bonds Gif previously posted. Would you say that he is also striding with the front leg instead of the rear?

#3 - is my fault, I initially had her stride then I placed the tee to be 3" roughly in front of the front foot, but she kept scooting back lol.

#4 - I've talked to her about the box grip many times, she tends to do a in between box grip and what you referenced above.

Jan 28, 2017
Oh Ok, She does get to that position. With the knob facing the catchers feet. I agree she probably doesnt TTB from their.

Yes, then she uses her hips and shoulders to swing. Common for younger kids and some people teach it close to that. I'm not a tech guy but if you stop her swing the second before the barrel starts going forward her hands are in front of her stride foot. Big time push swing. If her shoulder and hips go really early a push swing is the only way she can hit the ball. I personally like to stretch, stay square, and turn the barrel from the catchers feet . I tell my DD to point the purple thing at the catcher and turn the barrel to hit the ball with the purple thing (Power Carbon with purple thing on it). Son has a Cat 8 and tell him to hit it with the cat. Get some funny looks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28