Collapsing front elbow

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
Wondering the same thing actually.. see a lot of hitters just starting to open their hips up prior to foot strike.. Donaldson seems to like this action to create maximum stretch..

I agree. I also think it's hilarious when Bonds uses this technique and Donaldson says it's what he's purposely doing and then someone with preconceived ideas says they are good hitters in spite of their movements completely denying that theyre good hitters because of their movements.
A good drill to fix the girl's "push" swing is the stretch and fire drill.
SnF will instantly help her keep her hands deep and promote the feeling and sequencing of separation of hips and shoulders. Also promotes getting centered up rather than moving back to front..

Jul 29, 2013
Thanks for pointing this out. Let's talk about toe touch and heel plant.

You want to coil inward as you stride forward. And hold this as long as possible. Then an inch or two before toe touch, the front leg begins to straighten (not saying here that it straightens), and the hips will be roughly even (not open) at toe touch - for most hitters as I will explain below.

For hitters that first land on their toe (which is 70% or more), they begin to open their hips beyond 'even' during 'heel drop' - the phase from toe touch to heel plant.

For hitters that first touch ground with their heel, you will notice like Bonds they begin to open their hips just before landing. [I personally think this is slightly less optimal than toe touchers, since heel touchers are opening in mid-air on one leg. If you are on steroids this is not a problem. Of course if a kid already swings well like this I would not change this since 20% or so MLB hitters do this]

So, at heel plant, both types of hitters will be in roughly the same position.

The OP's hitter first touches ground with her front toe.
In the video, to me it looks like Bonds is turning his belly button toward the pitcher as soon as he starts his forward move. And it looks like his back leg initially outwardly rotates before coiling inward as he approaches foot plant and then more inward coil after it leaves the ground?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Release allows Bonds to fall into his legs which causes the obliques to be stretched then contract during the whip

17HU7mF.gif

1STqj4K.gif

3wLHMQV.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478