Cold weather pitching practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2018
Georgia
How do you guys practice during the cold weather? My DD takes lessons once a week indoors but we usually like to practice in the dirt as much as possible. So, do you guys find a basketball gym to practice, pay for monthly memberships to indoor facilities, etc?

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
Set up a Bownet / tarp in a basement or garage and work on drive mechanics and drills. My daughter throws 150 - 200 pitches inclusive of drills 3-4 times a week in our basement outside of weekend games. Takes about 1/2 hr. She warms up by doing yoga for 15-20 min.

Rent an indoor facility once a week and find a catcher who wants to split the fee for the hour while they work on framing / blocking skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 23, 2014
We used an electric space heater (or two) in our garage in the winter, and had her work on drills, spins, and full pitches into a net. Have her focus on good mechanics and technique as hitting locations is impossible unless you have a very large garage.

Oct 2, 2018
Georgia
Thanks for reply. I did use heater in the garage last winter with a net and we worked on drive mechanics mostly. I felt like her control suffered some but was back on track once we started practicing outside again. I am looking for creative space ideas people use to practice

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
We are actually getting ready to go down to the basement now. I live in a small townhouse. I have a pitching mat (one of the best purchases I've made) and a net with a tarp set up. About 12 or 13 feet of space to work with. We work on mechanics (from power K, etc.) and throw "full pitches" for about 30-40 minutes.

Once or twice a week I will rent a pitching lane at a nearby facility so that we can actually pitch from 43' and work on hitting spots, different pitches, etc.

All sub-optimal compared to pitching outside in the dirt, but we have tried to use this time in the offseason to correct any notable mechanical flaws (that is really hard to do when you are pitching in games nearly every weekend).

Nov 18, 2013
How do you guys practice during the cold weather? My DD takes lessons once a week indoors but we usually like to practice in the dirt as much as possible. So, do you guys find a basketball gym to practice, pay for monthly memberships to indoor facilities, etc?

We would practice in school gyms, the local armory, ice rink facilities (usually lots of room behind the rinks between boards and wall) and indoor training facilities. There’s so many domed fields now that’s probably the easiest. I always paid for the catcher. I figured she’s doing us a favor so not fair to make her pay.

Best bet is to find a travel program with access to an indoor facility. Dint know where you’re located, but many areas have multiple programs with their own facilities.

May 20, 2016
My DD's PC wants her to pitch in all kinds of weather. Says that if you can pitch at 30 degrees, 60 is easy.

Kind of the Dodgeball "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball".

Luckily enough we do have access to an indoor facility at any time and also have a space in the garage to throw into a tarp. But we still go out in the cold and sometimes rain to pitch just for the adversity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598