Coaching Power Struggle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
But the other 'stuff' like handling the coaching staff, budgets, etc is what sinks him.

Isn't that "other stuff" 60% of the job?

As an fyi, I helped start the largest softball TB orgs in Illinois, I had three kids play TB, two of them were successful college athletes. I coached TB and rec ball forever. I made every mistake possible...I even invented a couple of brand new mistakes.

So:. Get out now. Find another team for your DD. Don't look back.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Haven't read all the responses but essentially making a 13 year old the coach of a 12U team is a recipe for disaster. If you have other options, and you probably do, walk away.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Agree that it is time to leave. But before you do meet with the head of the organization one on one and very politely explain the situation, behavior you are encountering, how that will end up hurting the organization, and ultimately your decision to leave. If eventually they end up dumping this coach it may make your possible return to the org. smoother.

May 6, 2015
Agree that it is time to leave. But before you do meet with the head of the organization one on one and very politely explain the situation, behavior you are encountering, how that will end up hurting the organization, and ultimately your decision to leave. If eventually they end up dumping this coach it may make your possible return to the org. smoother.
I have a feeling the organization consists of this HCs two teams. I cannot see any decently run organization allowing this kinda of crap

Jul 14, 2018
Trying to be the fourth coach on a team that's run by three family members sounds like a recipe for disaster, definitely time to put this team behind you. The time between the end of fall ball and the beginning of spring is a perfectly acceptable time to make a change, no need to feel bad.

And thanks to sluggers for making me look up Minnie Mouse on urban dictionary :ROFLMAO:

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
DD, when home from school. helps coach my team. The difference is, she plays in college, knows that fundamentals are important, knows many of the drills we use and introduces new drills to us for particular skills development that her team uses or she's seen other college teams use in practice and/or warm-ups. I am always there at practice and she also clears it with me and the other AC's before introducing them. The other difference is she's 20 and has some coaching experience of her own since her college team helps coach local rec teams from the college's surrounding area so she's had several years under her belt.

When she went off to play in college, I felt that I could sit back, relax and enjoy watching her play in college. This was not to be the case. I ended up coaching a 12U team. Then I thought I was done once again when that Org disbanded at the end of the season. Next year, my former AC asked be to be CO-HC of his DD's team with him. This year, he started his own business so had to step back and the Organization made the other AC the HC. He talked a good game but it quickly became clear to me, my friend and the parents that he knew very little. He ran practices like a dictator and completely disregarded the years of experience that my former co-HC and I brought to the table. It finally came down to me walking away to the detriment of the team. I would do the same if my DD were on it.
When the HC, which is effectively this 13YO truly knows nothing, like the HC of the team I left, then it's time to go...DD included.

ETA: Once another organization found out I was available again, they contacted me to take one of their 12U teams. Just when I thought I was done, they sucked me back in...again! :)

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2017
13 year old teaching 12 year olds?!?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaaaa

This is exactly my thought, 13 isn’t an older player in this sense. Older for these girls would be my daughters (HS Junior & College Freshman).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 16, 2013
When I was a 12-year old boy ... that is the team I would have wanted to be on.
I think by the end of the season she had their respect. I let her know, well ahead of time, what 11 and 12yo boys would be thinking. She did very well and I'm quite proud of her. She showed she had skills and would always demonstrate what I was trying to teach, always near flawlessly. Above all else, she taught the two catchers way above any other team we saw. It was awesome to watch her pass down skills and demonstrate everything she was trying to teach. I think one of the positives is her she coached her middle school baseball coach's son.

Redwings.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2