Coaching gear for game days

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 21, 2018
You would lose 1/3 of your eval at States if you let this happen as an umpire in Florida (which means no States next year for a start). Frankly, I don't care what happened in the past, nor do I care who you are (or think you are), this is what is happening THIS game.

NFHS 3.5.1:
ART. 3 . . . Any time a coach is in live-ball area to confer with players or an umpire, or to occupy a coach's box, the coach shall be attired in school uniform or jersey/coaching shirt with coaching shorts/slacks or warm-up suits (including fleece warm-ups) in school colors or colors of khaki, black, white or gray. Cut-offs or any type of jeans are prohibited. Jackets are not considered part of the coach's uniform.
PENALTY: (Art. 3) A coach not dressed in appropriate attire shall not be permitted in the field of play following the pregame conference for the duration of the game or until the situation has been remedied.

So yes, there is a 'no jeans rules' in NFHS.
USSSA has a rule that requires a cap must be worn bill-forward
.... and so on.

These rules exist because (like a lot of rules) people can't be trusted to automatically do what is appropriate and apparently need to be told. Such as this guy apparently.

Soooo... What you're saying is that jeans are a no-go, but a velour track suit might be acceptable, in team colors of course course. Bada-bing!

Dec 23, 2017
New York
@Westwind - yep, 1A. We won 2-0 that year. That coach was at that school forever. Are you familiar with who I’m talking about?

@The Man In Blue - it was NFHS. We were playing in the IHSA Finals. While I do live in PA now, I coached in Illinois for many years.

I understand there should be attire rules, and am extremely happy we don’t have to wear uniforms, like baseball, but I feel the jeans rule is out dated.

Jeans should be saved for post-game, not the field. Look professional! Jeans are not professional and where else in the sports world do you see coaches in jeans?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I am reasonably sure I know the coach who wore the boots. At that time, he was the only softball coach that school had had and the softball diamond is named after him. If I am correct, his initials are HF. BTW, that school is approximately 15-20 minutes from my house. That small school produced a lot of college players.

Sep 21, 2017
PA
I am reasonably sure I know the coach who wore the boots. At that time, he was the only softball coach that school had had and the softball diamond is named after him. If I am correct, his initials are HF. BTW, that school is approximately 15-20 minutes from my house. That small school produced a lot of college players.

Yep, that's him! We played them in '08 in the state semi's and the finals in '10, when I was an assistant at Cobden. We played a few different times during the regular season, as well. His teams were always good!

Nov 11, 2019
Our staff wears the Berzerk dyed jerseys but they are team colors, not the crazy slow pitch colors. We wear khaki or black shorts and turf shoes.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Yep, that's him! We played them in '08 in the state semi's and the finals in '10, when I was an assistant at Cobden. We played a few different times during the regular season, as well. His teams were always good!
You were an Appleknocker! I have been all over that area there. My mom and dad had land outside of Goreville. I head down that way all of the time but turn on I-24 to go to Kentucky. Great softball in that area!

Sep 21, 2017
PA
You were an Appleknocker! I have been all over that area there. My mom and dad had land outside of Goreville. I head down that way all of the time but turn on I-24 to go to Kentucky. Great softball in that area!

I was a Blackcat, too! I grew up in Goreville, and basically all of my family still lives there. I’m sure I probably know where you’re family’s land is. I got my first coaching job with the Appleknockers while in college. I coached basketball and softball there for 13 years. Small world!

Oct 19, 2019
A 6er of wheat ale, a cold glass, and an orange is must have gear for this coach.

After we are done playing for the day, of course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802