Coaching gear for game days

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
I’m guilty as charged. Jeans. (Insulated, flannel lined jeans lol). Black Danner GoreTex boots. Goose down Eddie Bauer parka. I hate being cold.

Your Honor, I offer this mitigating factor: I only did it when it was 40 degrees and windy.

Oct 4, 2018
I’m guilty as charged. Jeans. (Insulated, flannel lined jeans lol). Black Danner GoreTex boots. Goose down Eddie Bauer parka. I hate being cold.

Your Honor, I offer this mitigating factor: I only did it when it was 40 degrees and windy.

Standing all day in the wind can be brutal on 35 degree days. I'm all layered and bundled up too.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
No way! I'm just happy I don't coach baseball. Not sure where on Earth I could find baseball pants that fit me. On the other hand, I might make some money by suing NFHS for discrimination against the obese!

My first few years of coaching softball we had to wear uniforms. I assume this was a rule that changed. Everyone did it, so I have to think it was mandated. Perhaps it was just copied from baseball & everyone did it because, well... everyone else was doing it.

Anyone know? Was it a NFHS rule in the late 80s and mid 90s?

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
@Westwind - yep, 1A. We won 2-0 that year. That coach was at that school forever. Are you familiar with who I’m talking about?

@The Man In Blue - it was NFHS. We were playing in the IHSA Finals. While I do live in PA now, I coached in Illinois for many years.

I understand there should be attire rules, and am extremely happy we don’t have to wear uniforms, like baseball, but I feel the jeans rule is out dated.
While you might think the jean rule is outdated, have you seen some of the jeans they sell now? the legs are all torn up, some shouldn’t be wore by anyone. But if you change it, they would be allowed to wear any of those, which would not be appropriate.

now that we have some younger ex players coaching the game, some of their attire isn’t appropriate. Booty cutters are not appropriate in my opinion.
i once had an NCAA coach try to wear flip flops in the 3rd base coaches box.......sorry, not on my field.

That is why the rules are in the rule book.

May 29, 2015
My first few years of coaching softball we had to wear uniforms. I assume this was a rule that changed. Everyone did it, so I have to think it was mandated. Perhaps it was just copied from baseball & everyone did it because, well... everyone else was doing it.

Anyone know? Was it a NFHS rule in the late 80s and mid 90s?

Before my time ... I was playing with the little white ball then ...

Feb 26, 2018
One of the teams around here has a HC that wears a full sub dye jersey/shirt. Looks like he's headed to his slowpitch softball game afterwards

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23