Coaching Gaffs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 19, 2010
When I make a mistake I let the team know about it. I also let them know when I was taking a calculated risk and it didn't work out. I don't want neither the team nor I to be too cautious yet not too risky but pick and choose when to "take a chance".

To sum up: I tell the team I messed up.

Feb 8, 2009
I screw up all the time. As far as knowing when to change pitchers, I don't see a right answer. How about strategy? I watched a high school game last night. In the 6th inning of a 0 - 0 game , with one out the batter walks. The coach has one of her few run producers (batting 8th - low avg. of late) bunt the runner over. The 9 hitter squibs one that can't be fielded cleanly. The next hitter hits grondball to short. The shortstop boots it. The final is 1 - 0. The strategy didn't make sense to me, and wouldn't do it. But, it worked.

May 11, 2009
I guess I am a lot like Wondermonkey. I have always told our girls to do what we ask them to do without question and if they get out it is my fault not theirs. It has taken some time but for the most part they have bought into it and they seem to play with a little more aggression knowing that they will not a talking to or yelled at for making a mistake.
Now that being said I make my fair share of mistakes and always will. Thank goodness it wont ever be on as big of a stage as some of the D1 coaches out there nor will it be for as many marbles.

Oct 21, 2009
I love aggressive base running. I can't always get the girls to buy into it. I have told them if you are thrown out it is my fault. But then there are fly balls where they tag from third, I yell GO, they take 2 steps and freeze.
"Why didn't you go?"
"I was afraid I was going to be out."
I tell them three things after that: Never be afraid on the bases, If I tell you to go and you are out, it's my fault, if your HS coach or any other coach ever asks you this same question tell them you got a bad jump.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478