Coaching Club and highschool Conflict or no?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 27, 2019
I am not a big fan of this conflict of interest in my eyes especially if the coach recruits from team and coaches player on both teams. I would think that it gives an unfair advantage to girls that play on his club team. I'm not sure this should be allowed at the high school level, but seems to be found at various schools. It seems to be causing issues for players and parents with unfair advantages. Thoughts?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Depends on the coach. I have seen examples that were definite issues. But I also have a good friend that has done this for years without issue. A few of his high school players do play for his travel team but they get no special treatment. That said, they are without question the 3 best players on his high school team. I do know of one parent that complains about it but her daughter is competing with one of these travel players. The problem is that it really isnt a competition. The travel player is a much better player. Of course the mom cries that the coach is holding her back instead of realizing the truth. She just isnt as good as the other player...

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I am not a big fan of this conflict of interest in my eyes especially if the coach recruits from team and coaches player on both teams. I would think that it gives an unfair advantage to girls that play on his club team. I'm not sure this should be allowed at the high school level, but seems to be found at various schools. It seems to be causing issues for players and parents with unfair advantages. Thoughts?

I have seen it both ways - both the good where the coach was awesome with the whole team and the bad and the issues it can sometimes seems to cause. But then I have also seen the 'only coach HS' issue as well - where they have NO idea about travel and how that works. There are quite a few I know who would REALLY benefit it they got out into the travel world instead of just doing HS.

Like most things - it comes down to the individual coach. It is often hard enough finding enough coaches and umpires without adding additional barriers preventing someone from wanting to do it.

Aug 20, 2017
Rule in Mississippi is high school coach cannot coach players that play on another high school team. If they do, those players are ruled ineligible

May 4, 2017
Rule in Mississippi is high school coach cannot coach players that play on another high school team. If they do, those players are ruled ineligible
Can you post that rule?

Also, is there a rule about how many players from the same school can play on a travel team?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jun 11, 2013
The order of it makes a difference to me. If a TB coach takes over a HS team I see it as fine. If a HS coach starts a TB team and "forces" the players to play for them it's a problem. I know our local HS was taken over by the best TB coach in the area this year and it changed the entire culture of the team in a very positive way.

Aug 20, 2017
Can you post that rule?

Also, is there a rule about how many players from the same school can play on a travel team?

6.2 INDEPENDENT TEAMS 6.2.1 During the school’s sports seasons an independent team (i.e.: club team, recreational team, select team, elite team, all-star team) can be made up of no more than 60% of the number that make up the starting number of players for that sport from any one school. (Ex.: 5 players from one school may participate on a baseball or fast pitch softball team, 3 basketball players, 7 soccer or slow pitch softball players).

6.3.1 Schools shall not require or sponsor activities in the name of the school team outside the school season of the sport involved. A school sponsored team or group of any number of students sponsored by the school, which resembles the school’s team, is not permitted to practice or compete outside the MHSAA defined season for that sport. No competition between groups that resemble school teams (grades 9-12) may occur in that sport at any school facility and/or any other location with any of that school or school district personnel present. Exception: School personnel (including non-faculty coaches) may coach independent teams outside of the sport season in the following sports: archery, bowling, cross-country, soccer, swimming, tennis, track or volleyball. The student participation 60% rule applies to these sports. Any coach that coaches a student from another member school renders the student ineligible at the coach’s school for the next school year. 6.3.2 Members of a school’s coaching staff are not allowed to coach girls or boys players from his/her school sport teams during the off-season during the school year. Exception: See 6.3.1. No coach or non-faculty coach from a school’s staff of the same sport may hold organized practice or competition for its school or its feeder school players (students in grades 7-12) in that sport outside the sports season during the school year. Any coach that coaches a student from another school renders the student ineligible at the coach’s school for the next school year.

Aug 20, 2017
I misinterpreted rule on high school coaches coaching players from another high school team. Looks like if you coach players from another team they are ineligible at that coaches school for 1 year

May 4, 2017
Any coach that coaches a student from another school renders the student ineligible at the coach’s school for the next school year.

The player is ineligible at the coach's school, not at the player's school if I'm reading that right.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802