Coaching Clinic

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2016
Minnesota
I went to a coaching clinic last weekend and there were several college coaches there who had some really good comments so I thought I would share them.

1) they get way too many emails and videos. D3 coaches said they get as many as ten videos a day. D1 and D2 coaches get more. They said that your video better catch their attention in the first minute or they stop watching. They don't have time to watch 10 videos that are 10 minutes long. One coach said that if the video is more than 3 minutes he doesn't even watch it.

2) Go to their camp. Nothing shows interest in their school more than a player showing up to their camp.

3) Showcases are OK for pitchers and maybe catchers but there is a huge chance that they never get to see the best position players at the showcase make a good play or get a huge hit. Go to their camp.

4) Include throwing in your video. Every kid who sends in a video can hit. They want to see the girls throw. When showing girls running put a stopwatch in the corner of the video if she is really fast. That 2.7 or 2.8 will catch their eye. With no stopwatch they will most likely not take the time to get the stopwatch out and time the video.

5) They are watching attitude and effort at showcases. Maybe your team lost by 10 runs and DD had a bad day. They already know she is a good player and they came to watch her. She isn't hitting .500 by accident. She won't blow that interest by having one bad day. How was her demeanor in the dugout when 0-3 with 3 Ks or she just made a big error on defense? She will blow their interest by pouting, throwing her bat or helmet, or having a mini-tantrum. Several coaches said they actually like to see how she reacts to a bad day.

6) Parents stay away from the dugout and if the college coaches notice you it is most likely not for a good reason.

7) go to camps or visit the campus. That tells them you are interested. They get hundreds of emails telling them girl x will be at tournament y on random date. A good player who takes the time to visit their campus shows them true interest.

Just some feedback I thought might be interesting.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Thanks for sharing 55. All good stuff and so very true I would expect. Always great to hear more about the "process" and will keep these things in mind as we are in the thick of it.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I like all your points but especially #2.

I think of it as a tryout, do they want DD and do they have the privilege of her playing on thier Team? Tryout for both coaching staff and player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812