Coaching app for teaching offensive signs & defensive strategy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 25, 2021
Hello Softball fans,
Let me introduce myself. I was a division III baseball player, after college I was fortunate enough to play 7 years traveling in the ISC league throughout the midwest playing fast pitch with some of the best players in the world. I'm a current baseball coach at the high school age levels. Long story short, a few years ago I was helping coach a travel 13U team and during a game I watched a player get benched because he missed a double steal sign. I talked with the head coach after the game and asked him how does he go about showing his players what the offensive signs are?? It was the typical answer.. "well I showed them" So it got me thinking.... there must be a better way. These players are asked to remember a sign or play that a coach may only use a few times a season. Over the past two years I have made it my goal to come up with that better way..... I met with some technology people, did lots of research and jumped in with two feet to create an app that players can use to teach themselves the team's offensive signs and defensive plays. I caught the eye of an owner of an MLB affiliate team, he loved the idea and asked to be a minority partner to bring this thing to life.
AND.... coachesEDG has now been released for Apple and Google devices. If you're a coach or a parent with a player check out the web site at www.coachesEDG.com. What the program allows you to do is as a coach, upload all your offensive signs and defensive play book. Your team downloads the app to their mobile device. Your roster now can learn your team's playbook right from their phones. As a coach you can even set up quizzes and get direct feedback. It is completely FREE to get started and try it out.
I have contact information on the web site for those that have questions.
Thanks for your time.

Aug 25, 2021
Yup, completely understand. However not every team is sold on wristbands for multiple reasons. Some of the softball teams that already have signed up also use wristbands. Some are considering going back to traditional signs and others see the benefit they get with the app with being able to upload for example all their bunt coverages. Players can study them, coaches can quiz them right from their phones.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Offensive signs...on my DD's team, we had 2 coaches out for a game one weekend this summer, and I was asked to step in and coach 1b...coach says, "this means bunt. this means steal. got it?" Yep.

When i played baseball in college we had 3 signs, bunt, steal, hit and run. As my coach said, "I taught these to a camp of 10 year old kids in the Dominican, and they understood them, so you better too."

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Gunner, think about this. Here is what happens.
Pitcher stands behind rubber, coach looks at defense/batter and calls 123, catcher and everyone stops and looks at their wristband, pitcher either looks at it them, or once she step on the rubber. (NCAA she has to look at it after she is on the rubber).
how long did that take? 5 to 7 second, not too long one would think. Now if the pitcher makes a a average of 80 pitches a game, times 2 equals 160 pitches in a game. 160 times 7 = 1120 seconds. 1120 divided by 60 = 18.6 minutes. That is how wrist bands have added 20 minutes to a game. Coaches may not realize this, but at your next game, look around and watch how it really works. When wristband came to softball, softball games got longer. I work about 100 college and high school games every year. And it definitely made the game longer.

Jan 11, 2021
Hello Softball fans,
Let me introduce myself. I was a division III baseball player, after college I was fortunate enough to play 7 years traveling in the ISC league throughout the midwest playing fast pitch with some of the best players in the world. I'm a current baseball coach at the high school age levels. Long story short, a few years ago I was helping coach a travel 13U team and during a game I watched a player get benched because he missed a double steal sign. I talked with the head coach after the game and asked him how does he go about showing his players what the offensive signs are?? It was the typical answer.. "well I showed them" So it got me thinking.... there must be a better way. These players are asked to remember a sign or play that a coach may only use a few times a season. Over the past two years I have made it my goal to come up with that better way..... I met with some technology people, did lots of research and jumped in with two feet to create an app that players can use to teach themselves the team's offensive signs and defensive plays. I caught the eye of an owner of an MLB affiliate team, he loved the idea and asked to be a minority partner to bring this thing to life.
AND.... coachesEDG has now been released for Apple and Google devices. If you're a coach or a parent with a player check out the web site at www.coachesEDG.com. What the program allows you to do is as a coach, upload all your offensive signs and defensive play book. Your team downloads the app to their mobile device. Your roster now can learn your team's playbook right from their phones. As a coach you can even set up quizzes and get direct feedback. It is completely FREE to get started and try it out.
Thanks for your time.
Great work
Hello Softball fans,
Thanks for your time.
Great work Jesse. I certainly appreciate you recognizing a potential issue and applying your knowledge to create a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802