COACHES PRE-GAME WARMUP SUPERVISION PLEASE

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
:)
Hope that title grabs some attention!!!!

COACHES.....
Why is this continually happening and getting worse over the years...?!!!
Watching 12u travel ball this sunday again saw this....
*Specifically speaking to developmental years...

NO PRE-GAME WARM UP COACHING SUPERVISION OF PITCHERS AND CATCHERS ?!!!
NOT EVEN AT BEGINNING OF THE DAY OF SOFTBALL!!!!

Geeez...then they go call pitches uuhhggg....
And...

NO CATCHERS WARM-UPS THROWING FROM CATCHING POSITION???!!!

Certainly there are some coaches that take care of this and do it nicely... thank you for paying attention to the coaches who do!!!!

*However to the coaches who are not paying attention to this...

*PLEASE MAKE IT A PRIORITY !!!

THANK YOU !!!!!

****Parents this should be on your list to make sure your young athletes have good coaching and prepair the entire team befor games!!!!

LET'S GROW SOFTBALL!!

Enjoy :)

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2019
Luckily my DD's 12u team the HC focuses on the team and the AC warms up and evaluates the pitchers and catchers before the game. Also, my DD is a catcher and I have her in the habit of stretching for an extra 20-30 minutes before the team stretches because I worry about her knees and arms.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Luckily my DD's 12u team the HC focuses on the team and the AC warms up and evaluates the pitchers and catchers before the game. Also, my DD is a catcher and I have her in the habit of stretching for an extra 20-30 minutes before the team stretches because I worry about her knees and arms.
What are they "evaluating"?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I started a thread sorta on this topic. Here was the response.

How long? Typically about 45 min to an hour max
How structured? Depends on age and level but I prefer they do the same thing every time to enhance consistency
Is it a regiment? ?? mostly
Like, same number of bownets? Usually 2 and one was always side toss and one we would rotate between tee or another side toss.
Is it always the same routine? Yes. See above about consistency
How serious? How focused? I like it more focused but also not so intense that its not fun. Typical we played like we warmed up. I could usually tell how serious/focused we were in warm ups As to how we would play that game.
Are the coaches orchestrating it? Depends on age. Up to 14u I like to have a coach oversee it. At 14u we set the workout and then gave them the reins to run the warm up.
Is it almost militant? No, but structured yes.
Do coaches warm up pitchers enabling catcher(s) to get their warm ups in? Sometimes. we tried to have the starting P/C go through hitting first to get started and the secondary’s right behind them. But if needed, we would have a coach catch a pitcher.
When do you tell the pitcher she is starting?? Done it multiple ways. need to know you r pitcher. preferred to tell the starter ahead of time but I have had those that get too worked up if they thought about it too long.. (10u-12u)
If your playing 3 games do you warm up all the pitchers before first game? No. There is usually time to warm up the starter for the following games between innings.

I think the starting pitcher should be told she is the probable starter day before. Warm two pitchers. The probable starter with the starting catcher and the alternate pitcher with a coach. This so your other catcher/3rd baseman can take GBs and get ready to play. Practicing throw downs pre game is great idea even if it just 6 or 7.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
The correlation to what a pitcher does warming up to what she may do in a game is very low (like my golf swing on the range). Be careful making decisions based on what you think you see in warm ups. Warm ups are for getting the body ready for competition, not to show off your stuff to the coach or practice pitches. Know your pitchers and trust them to get the job done.

Oct 4, 2018
We certainly warm up at least 2-3 pitchers before the first game. Kind of depends on the day's schedule. If there's one game and then a nice break before game two, we usually only warm up two pitchers.

We're 10U though, and at the very young ages you really might need 3 pitchers in the first game. Unfortunately, with these young girls they can feel and look great in warm-ups but then be a mess 10 minutes later in the game.

I do worry about warming them up too much, so when I (and they) feel they are loose and ready we stop. Our best pitchers can get pretty high pitch counts by the end of the day so I don't want to waste many on warm-ups.

I'll admit we don't warm up our catchers well. We should think about that.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Great feedback
Keep it comming!

How about this simple reason
Why coach should supervise....

Because it shows the coach is actually PAYING ATTENTION

Anyone remember being a kid what happens when no parent around ;)
Most of these situations are a parent with the word coach next to it :)

Catchers need to warm up throwing from our catching position because it is very different to throw coming out of a catcher's squat then just warming up throwing arm standing before the game. Controlling runners on the bases is the catchers responsibility!
Active defense! ATTACK

Thank you for reading this post!

LETS GROW SOFTBALL

Last edited:

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
We certainly warm up at least 2-3 pitchers before the first game. Kind of depends on the day's schedule. If there's one game and then a nice break before game two, we usually only warm up two pitchers.

We're 10U though, and at the very young ages you really might need 3 pitchers in the first game. Unfortunately, with these young girls they can feel and look great in warm-ups but then be a mess 10 minutes later in the game.

I do worry about warming them up too much, so when I (and they) feel they are loose and ready we stop. Our best pitchers can get pretty high pitch counts by the end of the day so I don't want to waste many on warm-ups.

I'll admit we don't warm up our catchers well. We should think about that.

Agree. I've never understood why a coach only has 1 pitcher ready to go. See HS teams do this all the time. Always have a Plan B, you never know what might happen during a game.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478