Coaches: how would you react if a player asked you to back off a little bit? Respectfully of course.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I'm with the others, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
I heard a great interview with Jamaal Wilkes a couple weeks ago. For those of you who don't know him he was known as Silk for his smooth shot, played in the UCLA dynasty era and is a member of the the basketball hall of fame. He also has a very unusual shooting style that he said he developed when he was young playing against older kids so he wouldn't get his shot blocked. His first practice at UCLA coach Wooden fed him balls for shooting, he thought Wooden was going to try to change his shooting style. But after the shoot around and Wooden asking him some questions, he said Wooden told him to keep it as long as it was working.

Oct 4, 2018
Rare is the parent that looks at the results (statistics) and makes a change (new hitting coach).

There is always someone to blame (it usually starts with the coach).

Parents have been driving me crazy lately. Their daughter isn't that great and doesn't try and it's my fault. Oh, and she should be playing SS despite the fact she has the worst fielding percentage on the team.

Jun 8, 2016
Parents have been driving me crazy lately. Their daughter isn't that great and doesn't try and it's my fault. Oh, and she should be playing SS despite the fact she has the worst fielding percentage on the team.
You calculate fielding % in 10U???

Jun 8, 2016
I'm cheap too. It was tough for me just to bite the bullet and shell out the $2.99 a month for the basic stuff and box scores haha
I don't even do that.. I just roll with whatever is free..lol. I go to all the games, I don't need GC to tell me if my DD is fielding the ball well or taking good swings ;)

Oct 4, 2018
Perhaps I should have just said "She makes more errors on the team than anyone else".

But yes, we use Game Changer and that counts the errors, divides by Total Chances, and gives us the fielding percentage. It's nice to use to confirm what we're seeing with our eyes and let the parents see. We don't shove it in their faces, but we make the stats available.

Oct 4, 2018
... and yes, Game Changer doesn't track mental errors, throws to the wrong base, etc. etc. Here's what it shows for fielding. It skews things for 1B and C as they get credit for a put-out by simply catching a ball.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802