Coaches: how would you react if a player asked you to back off a little bit? Respectfully of course.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2019
Ok so here’s the scenario. A 16u player has been a strong power hitter since 12u. She comes to a new team. Hits .652 and has a SLG of .812 and an OBP if .650 in the Fall season. Over the winter for whatever reason the coach decides to try to change her swing. I think because it’s just different from what he teaches and he thinks he’s helping her. The player now can’t hit a beach ball this Spring. Frustration is growing and she’s not getting any better. It’s now in her head. She’s trying to work with her hitting coach to correct it. It’s becoming mental now. She’s had a little conversation with her coach that she’s just having trouble with his technique. He still is constantly trying to correct her. She’s at the point where she just wants to breath and ask him to leave her alone for a little bit. Like she needs to reset. Would it be disrespectful for her to just try and ask him to back off a little bit? Just give her a little space?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sometimes when a player is going good you just let her ride the streak. These numbers are that of a player that exudes cofidence. Let her ride that out. Don't say a word to her about her swing. Let her get her reps in at practcie and don't say a word about mechanics. Keep speaking to this athlete about her mindset at the plate in an effort to help the player keep the same mindset. Help her to continue the streak. Simply let her hit. In this case, it sounds to me that this coach destroyed her confidence or added swing thoughts at the plate for this player. Sometimes the best coaching is recognizing when you don't have to coach at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2