COACHES~HIT or WALK whats better?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Downhill, with a strong wind at your back...
Ldcnija.gif

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Surprised me too.
Like a wildebeest kickin dirt.
Too funny...best laugh of the day.

A pitchers talks about the big hit she got.
A catcher talks about the base she stole.
A coach (like me) talks about the time s/he let her/his star hitter drive in the winning run. As in, "My clean up hitter was up with the winning run at 3rd. I decided to give her the green light. Smart move, eh?"

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2016
:)
Alrighty here we have the big question!
it's a strategy question 🙊
its probably a math question 🙉
it's a philosophy question 🙈
it's an important question! ;)

What do you prefer a HIT or a WALK ?

2 outs, bottom 7th inning
Your team needs a run.
Runners on 2nd & 3rd
Your best hitter is up
Next batter is in a slump

COACH whats your strategy
Go for it if its close?
or
Walk?

this ones easy, let the hitter do her thing. Stay aggressive and if she doesnt get the pitches take the walk. Im then telling the next girl toes on the line and crowd the living hell out of that plate. Praying for the HBP or passed ball. After the first two pitches If I can see that the pressure is too much for her make the small ball call and pray. I have had bottom of the lineup girls pull out a walk off win but more times than not ive seen them go down watching/swinging.

you never did say what kind of runner is at 3b? if she is a burner that is quick I just might tell her to delay steal home on the catchers snap back if I know there is no way the girl at the plate is getting the hit.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
this ones easy, let the hitter do her thing. Stay aggressive and if she doesnt get the pitches take the walk. Im then telling the next girl toes on the line and crowd the living hell out of that plate. Praying for the HBP or passed ball. After the first two pitches If I can see that the pressure is too much for her make the small ball call and pray. I have had bottom of the lineup girls pull out a walk off win but more times than not ive seen them go down watching/swinging.

you never did say what kind of runner is at 3b? if she is a burner that is quick I just might tell her to delay steal home on the catchers snap back if I know there is no way the girl at the plate is getting the hit.
Like the strategy thinkin' it through.

How about
Take a moment befor either at bat to talk with both batters, whos up and on deck batter. *To make a better informed
Coaching decision?!!

The best hitter will hopefully have eye of the tiger,
The on deck batter probably will show where she's at too.

Like to know the mindset of the players!
Confidence is important!

The Green Light is ON ! :)

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
And then

- Want to Hit Better? Just Do the Opposite of What Everyone Else is Doing!

Apr 28, 2019
In the scenario you put forth I’m hoping for a hit. In this instance a hit is at least a run if not two. A walk would simply load the bases and bring-up a player with low confidence.
Of course you could be thinking she is due for a hit but I would probably sub for her. It would depend on who the on deck batter was and how much confidence I have in her.
A walk is usually as good as a hit but in this case let’s swing away, make contact and make the defense stop stop us.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802