COACHES~HIT or WALK whats better?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Yes Thanku! Apparantly have something incommon with Ted.

Just shared a tid-bit on my perspective!

Ps i new this had math in it ......
Always appreciate your detail to details !!!!
The argument could be made that you throw the numbers out the window if your stud hitter is "clutch". To me somebody being considered clutch is 75 % skill (including approach), 20% opportunity (maybe Dan Marino would be considered as clutch as Tom Brady had he made 9 SB..) and 5% personality e.g. that little extra that some people have.

Jul 14, 2018
:)
What do you prefer a HIT or a WALK ?

2 outs, bottom 7th inning
Your team needs a run.
Runners on 2nd & 3rd
Your best hitter is up
Next batter is in a slump

COACH whats your strategy
Go for it if its close?
or
Walk?

In the situation above, you say the on-deck hitter is in a slump — not a weak hitter, but a slumping one. As a coach, the last thing I want is for a struggling hitter to see their teammate swinging at pitches over her head just so that the slumping player doesn’t get a chance to screw things up. That probably fits more into the “philosophy” basket, don’t make it harder on a player who is in a rough patch. Certainly is if it’s just a regular season or pool game. Tell your good hitter to look for a mistake, but don’t chase.

From the defensive side, I have absolutely looked at my scorecard late in a game and told a pitcher: “#24 is three-for-three, don’t give her anything to hit.” If you know the pitcher has good control, you shouldn’t expect to see a strike in that situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 11, 2010
Paralysis by analysis. Coaches need to stay out of hitters heads.

Clutch isn’t a thing. Every hitter hits sometimes. Slumps end.

As the coach on offense, I’m preparing every player every game for this and every other situation. The ”strategy” is always the same. Get a good pitch to hit. Make solid contact. Hit a good pitch hard.

You can’t sweat single at bats no matter the situation as a coach or a hitter. It doesn’t pay.

Last, I’ll answer the original question. A hit is always better than a walk. Always. And with young players the best thing you can do with them is instill the attitude that they are hitters who will take a walk but they are never “looking” for a walk. It kind of facetious but I like to say to them “nobody ever got their name in the paper for a walk” or “you don’t get famous by walking”. Yes it’s only partially true but it helps get hitters in the frame Of mind I want them to have.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
When I read this, I also think this: sometimes the time might be right for unexpected chaos. Corners back, best hitter up, maybe you bunt for a hit and see what screwed up thing might happen next. Keep in mind I’m saying that as the coach of teams that almost never bunt.

If I have all good base runners in the mix...... well maybe, lol!

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
When I read this, I also think this: sometimes the time might be right for unexpected chaos. Corners back, best hitter up, maybe you bunt for a hit and see what screwed up thing might happen next. Keep in mind I’m saying that as the coach of teams that almost never bunt.

If I have all good base runners in the mix...... well maybe, lol!
This can be an exceptional strategy!
In fact putting down a sneak bunt was part of my arsenal as a hitter.
(or a pivot/ bunt, drive it)
Would do a slight body pivot at bat to either see how defense would react or not.
Also to draw them in, or defense may make an adjustment.
Then RIP CITY !
Forcing defense to make a play creates multiple elements to get right!

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Like the added strategy conversation with bunting!
Sluggers comment
Batters should do this more, play with the infield.
Talking about turn or pivot drawing infield in or adjusting.

Have to say AGREE 👍!

Question to this point....
Why has it dwindled? Or has it?
Cant say have seen much of it from the right box in recent past years, other than lefties run and hit/slap/bunt of course. But thats not really sneaky.

With the explosive yellow ball can see infield a little farther back at times. Sneaky bunt can be a useful tool.
Perhaps hitting hard seems to be a loftier achievement?

My running speed was just at/under 3.0 from right side of box.
Hitting power and/or sneaky was fun!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28