COACHES~HIT or WALK whats better?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Point of playing a game, after a certain level, is to win ;) I would agree that at the lower levels (maybe 14U and under) it would probably best for the development of the pitcher to let her pitch. I was thinking more along the lines of college softball/pro baseball (although in pro baseball I can only remember somebody intentionally walking somebody with the bases loaded once and that guy hit 72 HR that year I think..)

Yes, I remember Bonds being walked in that exact situation. I don't remember how many outs there were, but I know he was walked intentionally with the bases loaded.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
:)
Alrighty here we have the big question!
it's a strategy question 🙊
its probably a math question 🙉
it's a philosophy question 🙈
it's an important question! ;)

What do you prefer a HIT or a WALK ?

2 outs, bottom 7th inning
Your team needs a run.
Runners on 2nd & 3rd
Your best hitter is up
Next batter is in a slump

COACH whats your strategy
Go for it if its close?
or
Walk?

I’m not sure I fully understand. Is there a count on already in this situation or are you asking if I would send my best hitter up to bat with runners on 2nd and 3rd looking for a walk, because well WHAT???

If you are asking if I would allow the girl to swing away with with a 2-0/3-0 count then that is a little different.

In a 3-0 count then I would probably have her take the next pitch to get on base. No chasing garbage but otherwise she is my best hitter for a reason. I definitely would never advise a player to look to walk, especially in that situation. No chasing, swing at anything close.

Striking out looking for a walk if far worse.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

Your team needs a run.
Runners on 2nd & 3rd
Your best hitter is up

Go for it if its close?
or
Walk?

I don't really understand the question here. Or rather, why it's even being asked. Literally everybody would prefer a hit in this situation. Everybody. Everywhere.

Would you rather find a thousand dollars or ten dollars?

Nobody is saying ten dollars, and even asking the question is implying a straw man argument. I don't believe this is being asked in good faith.

Edit: I know there's a second question being asked, but even that one doesn't strike me as a legitimate question since I'm not ever, in any situation, talking to my player in the middle of an at bat to say "well, if it's two inches off the plate, you should ____ because ____." There's not really an element of strategy involved here.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal

Your team needs a run.
Runners on 2nd & 3rd
Your best hitter is up

Go for it if its close?
or
Walk?

No question...I want my best hitter looking to do damage. A hit scores at least 1 run, possibly 3 (best hitter probably also has legit HR power). A walk doesn't put a run across the plate.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I'd want my best hitter looking to swing, but not chase. Since she's my best hitter that's probably what she'll do in that situation.

Sep 29, 2014
Of course if you hit a missile they wouldn't get mad ;) On the other hand in my state Legion finals I swung at a pitch way out of the zone with 2 strikes in a similar situation in the 12th inning and missed. Coach told me that was a ball as I was walking back to the dugout. I then proceeded to tell him "no sh*!" and then sat the next 7 innings (we lost in 19 innings).
Lol....this is so me and my DD honestly.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
I “think” the question is, would you prefer your stud hitter work the walk (since if the defense has any sense they will not be throwing her a strike – and if they had more sense, they would just put her on automatically if the rule set allows for it), or would you prefer she attempt to put the ball in play by swinging at pitches likely not to be in the strike zone.

With less than 2 outs, there are three possible bad outcomes – she strikes out, pops out, hits a grounder to the pitcher or sharply to third or first, and one potentially horrible outcome – she lines out to third (doubling off the runner). Other than that, almost every possible ball in play scores you a run.

The alternative, working the walk, does not score you a run, and gives the defense more options, decreasing your chances of scoring (though statistically you’ll still probably score with less than 2 outs)

With 2 outs, it’s a little tougher, with the equal batters, you’re better off walking (statistically more likely to score with bases loaded 2 outs than 2nd / 3rd 2 outs) but given the stud vs non-stud, you’d want her to be aggressive.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Luckily, while she has many of my personality traits, my DD isn't like me when it comes to in-game behavior..e.g. she doesn't act like an idiot.
From watching her, she appears to be a gamer. I would definitely have her looking to hit the ball with 2 out in the bottom of the 7th and runners on 2nd & 3rd :devilish:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802