COACHES~HIT or WALK whats better?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ok that is true, I guess I should have said "should coaches being saying this sort of stuff.." ;)

That all depends.... Yeah, I know I say that a lot ;) At the high school level, DD and I had talked about that type of situation long before it actually happened. She understood her role on the team and accepted the responsibility.

As a coach, it is my job to understand the abilities of each of my players, and then place them in the best possible position to succeed. I have coached players that thrived on that type of situation. I would think nothing about talking to that player between innings or even just prior to an at bat. I knew they could handle it. I have also coached players that would melt under that type of pressure. Good players, but didn't want to be on the spot. Each player must be managed differently...

I could reverse the situation as well. Bases loaded, your team is up by 2. Opposing batter is an absolute stud. Already has a couple of hits and RBIs. Do you walk her allowing one run to score while retaining the lead? Or do you take your chances that your pitcher won't allow a hit to the gap that will either tie or lose the game?

Jun 8, 2016
Plus how many times does this occur...
No matter what a player does theres a coach who will get upset...

That said,
I never had a coach get upset with me for swinging at or hitting
a non strike pitch!
The green light is on !
Of course if you hit a missile they wouldn't get mad ;) On the other hand in my state Legion finals I swung at a pitch way out of the zone with 2 strikes in a similar situation in the 12th inning and missed. Coach told me that was a ball as I was walking back to the dugout. I then proceeded to tell him "no sh*!" and then sat the next 7 innings (we lost in 19 innings).

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
As a coach, I would prefer a hit. Hits tend to rev up the team, especially in a close game.

In this situation, the coach has keep her/his head. She has to read the player and give the player what the player needs.

If the batter is too excited, the coach has to calm her down and get her focused. If the batter is intimidated by the moment, the coach has to get her "up" for the at-bat.

Jun 8, 2016
I could reverse the situation as well. Bases loaded, your team is up by 2. Opposing batter is an absolute stud. Already has a couple of hits and RBIs. Do you walk her allowing one run to score while retaining the lead? Or do you take your chances that your pitcher won't allow a hit to the gap that will either tie or lose the game?
That is a tough one. It depends :LOL: How many outs? I think with no outs and maybe 1 you pitch to her. With 2 outs I might think about walking her.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
That is a tough one. It depends :LOL: How many outs? I think with no outs and maybe 1 you pitch to her. With 2 outs I might think about walking her.

Lol! Let's go with 2 outs. We were faced with the situation once. We pitched to the hitter and she hit a scorching line drive to left center. Luckily the center fielder was shaded that way and only had to take a couple of steps. It worked out, but some luck was on our side.

Jun 8, 2016
Lol! Let's go with 2 outs. We were faced with the situation once. We pitched to the hitter and she hit a scorching line drive to left center. Luckily the center fielder was shaded that way and only had to take a couple of steps. It worked out, but some luck was on our side.
I walk her and trust that I can get an out on the next batter. Having a force out at each base helps plus a fly ball won't score a run so the batter will need to find the grass.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas

Isn't this the whole point of playing games? To see who is better?

This kind of a moment doesn't come around very often. It is a great opportunity....this is the whole point of playing the game. I would let the pitcher go for it.

I would go out to the mound, call the catcher in, and go over the plan, and then let her pitch.

My DD has been in the position several times....she was a relief pitcher when she first played D1. She is about as stubborn as they come....she and her coach had a bit of a disagreement about an intentional walk My DD thoughts were, "My control is great. We know what the batter likes. I won't give her stuff she likes. If she chases pitches, we can get her. If not, she'll walk. But, no need for an intentional walk."

Jun 8, 2016
Isn't this the whole point of playing games? To see who is better?
Point of playing a game, after a certain level, is to win ;) I would agree that at the lower levels (maybe 14U and under) it would probably best for the development of the pitcher to let her pitch. I was thinking more along the lines of college softball/pro baseball (although in pro baseball I can only remember somebody intentionally walking somebody with the bases loaded once and that guy hit 72 HR that year I think..)

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Point of playing a game, after a certain level, is to win ;) I would agree that at the lower levels (maybe 14U and under) it would probably best for the development of the pitcher to let her pitch.
Usually right after the 1st t-ball practice? :unsure:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478