COACHES~HIT or WALK whats better?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
:)
Alrighty here we have the big question!
it's a strategy question ๐Ÿ™Š
its probably a math question ๐Ÿ™‰
it's a philosophy question ๐Ÿ™ˆ
it's an important question! ;)

What do you prefer a HIT or a WALK ?

2 outs, bottom 7th inning
Your team needs a run.
Runners on 2nd & 3rd
Your best hitter is up
Next batter is in a slump

COACH whats your strategy
Go for it if its close?
or
Walk?

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020

Your team needs a run.
Runners on 2nd & 3rd
Your best hitter is up

Go for it if its close?
or
Walk?
Time out blue!

Hey best hitter. Do you think we should try to get two walks to win this game or would you rather drive one out on the grass somewhere?

Sure hope she picks the latter. :devilish:

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
This could be a very interesting discussion. To me a lot depends on the confidence level of that next person up, and just how close is close enough. Two different examples.

When DD played high school ball, she was the only player on the team that played travel ball and the only real threat with a bat. We were playing another inexperienced team and were down by 1 in the bottom of the 7th. Runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out. Opposing team decided to pitch around DD but got one too close to the plate. She reached and stroked a double to the right center gap. Game over with a W. To me this was a no brainer in the situation because her team didn't have a single other player that could hit with any type of consistency. To be honest, I was shocked they pitched to her at all, and the umpires told me the same thing after the game. DD's team finished the game with 6 hits. DD had 4 of them.

In travel ball, our lineup was loaded from top to bottom. Even if the next hitter was up, I would still trust them to get a hit if we needed one. However, there have been cases where players were so down on themselves that I was not as confident. Then again, it comes down to how far out of the zone you are willing to go.

FYI. I would also take other things into consideration. Quality of the opposing pitcher... If the pitcher is a stud, I may be more willing to take a chance since I have runners in scoring position. Inning... 2nd inning vs 6th inning would adjust my thinking. Score.. What I do up by two vs down by two would be different.

Jun 8, 2016

Your team needs a run.
Runners on 2nd & 3rd
Your best hitter is up

Go for it if its close?
or
Walk?
Are we assuming the other coach isn't an idiot and doesn't put up 4 fingers? ;)

Along with what @FP26 said, it also depends on the hitter. Some hitters are more selective than others, that is partly what makes them good hitters ( I know you probably disagree with this @RADcatcher so be it..). They know their zone and stick to it for the most part. Think Ted Williams. Telling that hitter to hit anything close to the plate may result in them having less of a chance of putting good wood on the ball then the hitter who is slumping behind them.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Are we assuming the other coach isn't an idiot and doesn't put up 4 fingers? ;)

Along with what @FP26 said, it also depends on the hitter. Some hitters are more selective than others, that is partly what makes them good hitters ( I know you probably disagree with this @RADcatcher so be it..). They know their zone and stick to it for the most part. Think Ted Williams. Telling that hitter to hit anything close to the plate may result in them having less of a chance of putting good wood on the ball then the hitter who is slumping behind them.
This is an interesting conundrum.

The best hitter is very selective.
As a coach you may say
"Go for it,.... if you like it"
Is this saying your ok with either
a walk or a hit?

While another best hitter
Who is not so selective
May have a better chance at more opportunities?!!!! So...
"Go for it"

Hmmm?!!!

Aug 20, 2017
If Iโ€™m opposing coach, Iโ€™m not letting best hitter beat me in that situation. 4 fingers lol and live with whatever happens next ab.

Same if Iโ€™m on offense. Gonna ride with my best hitter and let her win it or lose.

Jun 8, 2016
This is an interesting conundrum.

The best hitter is very selective.
As a coach you may say
"Go for it,.... if you like it"
Is this saying your ok with either
a walk or a hit?

While another best hitter
Who is not so selective
May have a better chance at more opportunities?!!!! So...
"Go for it"

Hmmm?!!!
Are coaches above maybe 12U actually telling their hitters anything like this? A hitter should know the situation, I wouldn't want a coach in my ear like that when hitting is hard enough to begin with...and yes I know I am not sticking to the topic..it is what I do.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Are coaches above maybe 12U actually telling their hitters anything like this? A hitter should know the situation, I wouldn't want a coach in my ear like that when hitting is hard enough to begin with...
Coaches say all sorts of stuff at all levels.
Different strategies and philosophies.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Plus how many times does this occur...
No matter what a player does theres a coach who will get upset...

That said,
I never had a coach get upset with me for swinging at or hitting
a non strike pitch!
The green light is on !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478